We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

Hi,

I was wondering if y'all would recommend any of the villages around Lake Atitlan (perhaps Pana) as a fun place to stay for a group of 25 y.o. males. We were going to base our trip to Guatemala out of Antigua and visit Lake Atitlan for a day trip, but everyone seems to really enjoy it, and we are wondering whether it would be a good idea to stay a night. However, we definitely like to go out at night and are not very much into bird watching or sitting on a balcony staring at the lakes and mountains, so I'm not sure if you think we'd get bored. If one seeks it out, is there enough activity to keep a group occupied for two days and a night, or is it more just a great area for relaxing?

Thanks.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

Go to San Pedro. You'll find some party activity, and you can hike the volcano.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

Hi,

You definitely need to go there for at least one night and the big party places are Pana or San Pedro. San Pedro might be a better expereince since you're in an indigenous village really adding to the flavor of the amazing lake.

You'll love it!!!!!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

I agree that your group will find lots to do in Pana or San Pedro, and will not be bored in the least. Check out the hiking on the many trails around the lake for spectacular scenery, or climb the San Pedro volcano or Indian Nose mountain. Get out on the water in kayaks for a great morning of fun. There is some great cliff jumping if you want more excitement. Enjoy.

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

Thanks for the replies. I assume San Pedro is "San Pedro La Laguna"? Where do you recommend staying that is walking distance to bars/restaurants/sites/etc - I only see hotel maria elena on trip advisor. Also, what is the best way to get there from antigua? Is there a bus that would go into san pedro? Thanks a lot.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

Yes, San Pedro La Laguna. I take a tourist shuttle http://www.transportguatemala.com/index.htm to Pana and a lancha to San Pedro. Plenty of places to stay: http://sanpedropresents.googlepages.com/ Most everything's about a ten minute walk or less.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
214 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

Sounds like you are familiar with the area. Would you recommend San Pedro over Pana for an overnight trip out of Antigua, if I'm looking for a place that's a little more relaxed with a more authentic village atmosphere? (I am definitely not looking for a party scene.) My time frame is early April? How crowded do you think this area (and Antigua) are at that time? Thanks.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

As long as you don't hit any of those places from March 28th (Palm Sunday through April 2nd (Good Friday) . Most people make hotel reservations in Antigua as far as a year in advance. So, you need to keep that in mind. And FYI, the rest of country can be hard to find hotels also, because the holiday for locals starts on thursday and they tend to visit recreationals areas with the whole family in tow.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

Sounds like a frat party. Go to San Pedro. Walk a 100 ft up the docks to Nick's, order a pizza and whatever else you need. Or go to Chimaltenango on the main highway. Look for the red building with all the Gallo signs just before the old turn off to Antigua.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

As far as "authentic," most of the parts of these towns that tourists frequent are, well, touristy. Most of the towns also have sections that are still fairly authentic. I've read a lot lately that San Juan is still fairly traditional, but i've never been, so I can't say myself. But you might want to check it out.

Raleigh
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun place to stay or better as a day trip from Antigua?

All of the towns around Lake Atitlan have a unique character. A nice little trip from Panajachel is one to San Antonio Palopo by pick up truck and return the same way, but stop off in Sta Catarina on the way back. There are some inexpensive restaurants at the lake shore and there is a large hotel there you can get some good, strong French Press style coffee and a good breakfast or lunch. San Antonio is one of the most conservative towns around the lake, but there are many weavers there who will be happy to sell you some. Prices are excellent.

Another trip is a boat-taxi to Santiago Atitlan that is the most traditional town around the lake. It was the home of the Tzutujil Maya culture. Lots to see there, and the prices on handcrafts are among the best around the lake.

Edited: 01 April 2010, 16:53
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel