We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Clinton
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
safety

Tourism in Pana is almost nil and the town is hurting. A major reason is that U.S. State Dept's website tells people not to try to go to Pana because the main road from Solola is closed for repairs and it says the alternate routes are too dangerous.

Well, we came over those road from Antiguas three weeks ago without any problem. and no one here has heard about any trouble.I wouldn't travel those roads -- or most any roads -- in Guatemala at night, but a midday trip is fine.

Scary and mostly inaccurate info is not needed. So, do come to this beatiful town and lake.

p.s. we've been coming for 7 years and have no financial or commercial interest in town.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

I completely agree.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

Is the road from Solola to Pana closed?

Edited: 08 December 2010, 23:20
Clinton
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

Yes, but it is supposed to be reopened this month.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

Panajachel is a really nice area to stay w/easy access to Atitlan and surrounding villages. However one word of advice: DON'T USE ANY ATM IN PANAJACHEL OR ANYWHERE IN GUATEMALA!!!!!!! You're gonna get ripped off. It may not happen while ur there, might not, but it will happen once they have your information. I got beat twice, once in Panajachel and once in Antigua. Panama here I come lol.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

I have used the ATM's all over the country using my Visa or MC debit cards without any major problems.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

And Kyle, we had our card skimmed in Panajachel, on Santeander. CapitolOne tracked it down, from the location where we used it in Panajachel, and then the fraud in Peru. CapitolOne is death on fraud.

And, without problems, we have used that card in Mexico, Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Ireland, UK, Scotland, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Morocco, Norway, Sweden, Austria, and Isreal.

Odd, the only problem happened in Guatemala.

Edited: 09 January 2011, 04:18
toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety

How was safety, road conditions, mud slides?

Weather?

Did you use a guide?

We are going next week...

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety

Sorry about the recent ATM card frauds. Not that it is my fault, but this type of thing really hurts tourism and affects their perspective of Guatemala.

The roads are 95% fixed from the spring storm, no problems there. See UNC Blues previous post regarding guide services, etc.

Happy Planning.

9. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 09:16