We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

Which Panajachel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

We are traveling to Guatemala in March with our 15-year old daughters. We want to stay in the Lake Atitlan area for four nights before traveling to Antigua for the rest of our stay. It sounds like Pana may be a bit touristy; where else would you suggest on the lake (both towns and hotels)? Our girls would love a pool but we don't need any fancy. We are interested in hiking, shopping, zip lining and general exploring.

Thanks,

Raquel, Minneapolis

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

Hello there. You have a wide choice of good hotels in Pana and the villages around the lake. But if that was me I'd also be looking for a hotel with a swiming pool for my kids b ecause even though you can expect overnight cool temperatures, the days are always sunny and warm. . And hotel Dos Mundos in Pana seems to fit the bill at reasonable rates

http://www.panajachel.com/hotels.htm I've never stayed there. This other site may have information on hotels around the lake www.guatemalastory.com

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

I'd suggest either La Posada de Santiago in Santiago Atitlan or Lomas de Tzununa in Tzununa. Both have pools. Lomas has great views but is far more isolated. The Posada is just outside of Santiago, which has pretty good shopping.

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

Hi! Intested in the comments on this forum - Hope you don't mind if I jump in and ask a question.....

If you were to choose between Lomas de Tzununa and Casa Palopo, what would you go for? I am looking for a 2 night stay at the end of out trip to Belize and Guatemala and want to relax but also visit market, walk around and perhaps go to a coffee farm. Is Tzununa safe to walk around?

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

You might like Hotel Atitlan just outside Pana close to the zip line and preserve. They have a great pool and are close to town. It is a very nice hotel. Dos Mundos is right in the middle of town but has a pool. Posada de Don Rodrigo is a little nicer with a pool and wonderful lake views. I like the Posada Santiago but there is not much to do in that town.

Casa Palopo is, IMHO the nicest hotel in the lake area. It's not cheap but is stylish and comfortable - probably not a good choice with kids but for a few luxurious days - hard to beat.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

Tzununa is safe to walk around, but there's not much there. I've read plenty of good things about Casa Polapo, but I've never been.

6. Re: Where to stay in the Lake Atitlan area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2011, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Panajachel