We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

penalty for overstaying visa

Which Panajachel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clinton
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
penalty for overstaying visa

I've checked countless website and cannot find the answer to this question: We arrived in Gua on Nov 14 and leave March 8. That would be about three weeks longer than the 90 days.If we don't go through the sweat of getting an extension or leaving the country for 72 hours, what would be the penalty, and can that be paid at the GUA airport?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

It wouldn't surprise me if it depends on the official you're dealing with - how they size you up and vice versa. Sort of like the "fees" requested to cross into or out of Guatemala by land.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

I don't know how inmigration can check if you have overstayed your visa if you're flying out. In fact there is no inmigration officials go through at the airport. And as far as I know the only one that gets to check your passport is the airline ticket agent. But on the other hand I've read on the TT forum of a penalty when you overstay your visa which can very well mess up your departure flight because it can only be paid at the inmigration main office in GC. But I've also read that there is a company in Pana that for a reasonable fee can save you the trip to guatemala city to get you the 90 day extension.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 02:51
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

I am pretty sure the fine is 10Q per day for overstaying the visa. What I do not know is where to pay it?? Maybe at the airport, but maybe not. Call Bety Lopez at: Bety/Elizabeth Lopez. 2360.0155 or 5428.4468. betysofice@hotmail.com 7a Ave. 1-44 Oficina 103.

She may know.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

Last I heard it was 10Q per day, and you had to pay it at an immigration office in Zone 9 or 10.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

I say it again. The fine can only be paid at the main inmigration office located at 6a avenida 3-11 zona 4 in GC and www.migracion.gob.gt/es/index.php…

according to their official webpage it's Q10 for every day you overstay your visa.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

I would like to go to Pana for 4 months, have been there before, where did you stay for the time you were there? I am also very interested in the answer to your question.

kathleen

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

May 2011. There is a shop in the main street, Calle Principal, not Santander, called El Rancho and they offer visa extensions for Q375, plus you don't get to see your passport for 8 days while they take it back and forth the City. You also need a passport photo and a photocopy of both sides of a credit card, to prove you are a tourist, although quite how this is proof I am not sure. Suggest you cover the numbers before copying, as he showed me some and despite being black markered the security codes where still clearly visible.

Ollantaytambo, Peru
Level Contributor
10 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

Why in the world do some people try to get over on the system. It is not worth the stress.

Just leave for a couple days to Mexico or Belize. Enjoy the moment and adhere to the laws of the country.

Brogue, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

What's the name of the company in Pana that helps with overstayed visas? I'm looking at staying in Guatemala for up to 6 mos.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
721 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: penalty for overstaying visa

The penalty is 10Q per day payable at the airport. There is a passport check after you check in where they can easily check the stamps in your passport and also check you out in the computer. I over stayed by about 4 months recently and was very politely told to go to a nearby booth and pay the fine. I then returned to passport control and went on my way. A friend recently told me she was a few days over and they said nothing to her.

Get answers to your questions about Panajachel