We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need Pana help asap

Cocoa, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
need Pana help asap

thank you to everyone in advance for every piece of advice.

Just to give you the back story..been all around a lot of Central America, mostly Costa Rica as my dad moved there in 1989... and I have been to Guatemala once, went to beach area too, had the pleasure of staying one night in Santa Catarina de Palopo and toasted marshmallows in Pacaya another staying in cute Antigua. Well I fell in love with lake Atitlan as one of my favorite CA places, go figure. (Copan, Honduras and Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua being another 2 faves) and have been waiting to get back ever since.

I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last October. After 6 mos of chemo, surgery, and radiation, they docs told me to go enjoy my life, as nothing traditional is working on me...

I figured why not go hang out where the energy is amazing, meet some mystics, look into every alternative I can afford, and get to have an amazing view and sunsets...and I love rain. Since I can't move around very much, I will need a nice view : )

As much as I loved Palopo, it was one lane that had roadblocks from construction a lot, and if I need to go to the hospital quickly, then probably not the best. Unfortunately the same goes for Santa Cruz probably, where I thought I really wanted to be maybe..as getting a water taxi at midnight might be impossible...

so I need you experts...ex-pats..local biz people...anyone with knowledge to help me with some serious advice, asap.

I have looked at Pana area hotels and rentals til I am blue in the face...so many sound great. Las Terrazas in Palopo was beautiful, and very affordable...I need something similar to that and with more amenities, somewhere by Pana. I will probably need a hotel for a week so I can figure out where and what to rent monthly. Here is a list of what I think I will need for the hotel:

-up to $60 usd a night for 2, hopefully less money for a week.

- I want a lake view, but I realize a lot of places won't be ground floor with a view. I can walk up maybe one flight of stairs maybe on a good day. Wheelchair accessible would be great, but i can walk enough if parts aren't...i read that Santa Cruz is alot of paths too, not so great for me overall.

- I will need someone to get/cook me food, so a small fridge in room/hotplate would be a blessing too, but I should have someone with me for the hotel portion of my stay

-pretty clean rooms and helpful staff. My immunity sucks, so I will pay extra to have it cleaned more if needed.

-internet. I am fine buying the stick if needed...whatever is most affordable. I will have to get a cellphone also.

-A balcony or semi private garden area would be super.

I could go on, but just think of someone partially physically handicapped on a lower budget. I don't need a ton of accessories in my room, but a comfy bed is most appreciated as I will be spending the majority of my time there.

For the rental I would like a one bedroom, but an extra double or day bed. I have someone that will split it with me and use it as a base for exploring Tikal, Semuc...etc. As full a kitchen as possible...someone to cook, clean, do laundry. same thing as above...i really need a great view, comfy bed, terrace...one floor would be best...any type of hot tub would be amazing...love sustainable...co-ops...eco friendly, gardens, would consider being a room mate but I'm pretty useless and stuck in bed mostly. I do need the bathroom inside the dwelling in case it's a day where i cant do much. Not a clean freak, but has be sanitary. I was a yoga teacher, web designer, and make jewelry...all of which I can still do from bed kinda too, and love meeting people and having friends.

I hope this gives everyone reading a good idea of me, and I just want to enjoy every day that I can. Please feel free to contact me here or by private message. Again, I thank everyone so much for all advice. It is embarrassing to have to explain so much about myself, but I need every day to count now, and the quickest best advice I can find.

peace

Kim B

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need Pana help asap

Hi, Kim - I'm sorry I can't help with lodging options but am just popping in to say I hope you find exactly what you're looking for! Best wishes!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need Pana help asap

I'm sorry about your situation, but applaud your choice of the lake area to spend some time. You might have better luck getting the info you seek on the expat exchange than on a board focused primarily on tourist travel.

expatexchange.com/guatemala/liveinguatemala.…

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need Pana help asap

Dear Kim do please send me a private message as I think I might be able to help you with a place in Santiago Atitlan which is right next door to Hospitalito. Or, if not then in Pana.

Also, if you do need a doctor or anything, please consider contacting my friend Lori at Guatemalan Medical Travel: http://guatemalamedicaltravel.com/. I can't seem to figure out how to send you a private message!?

I can also maybe help with various alternative therapists that are working in San Marcos and other places around the lake (I live in Pana)

Francesca

Cocoa, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need Pana help asap

thank you Francesca, i will message you now with my email addy!

Cocoa, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need Pana help asap

I;m here! will talk to everyone soon!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need Pana help asap

That's wonderful!!

7. Re: need Pana help asap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16