We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

Which Santiago Atitlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

I noticed somewhere a company that will offer transportation and hotel for two days, one night

to lake Atitlan and one the second day to chichi.................would this be safe for

senior citizen with family including a child?

does anyone know the name of tour companies that do this?

10 replies to this topic
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

I would think that most of the agencies offer this service. And yes, this would be safe for your family. I consider the safety warnings to be overblown. Let me know if I can help further booking this package.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

If safety concerns you then read the forums here regarding saftey for tourists in Guatemala...that should help to reduce your concerns. Keep in mind that the high crime statistics you see for the region are mostly due to drug trafficking related violence, the folks in this business are not interested in tourists.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

thanks for your response. Actually I have been to Guatemala twice before, with different tour groups. However, this time I am going with my daughter and 6 yr. old granddaughter so this time I need to be more

aware of safety. We have 9 nights and want to spend time in Antigua, Chichicostenaga, and Lake

Atitlan. Because we will be travelling around pre-Easter week, some hotels might not be so available. My

problem is working out where and when.......I am thinking night one in G.City because we leave L.A. so

late and arrive so early. Then 2 full days in Antigua, one day shopping in Chichi, maybe stay overnight if we

can get into Mayan Inn, and then 3 days, 2 nights in Lake Atitlan............maybe this sounds too ambitious.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

Exactly when are you going? Antigua Easter week is booked up many months in advance. Tours??? Normally you can do it all yourself. If not Easter than advanced isn't needed. Could you give more details on your time in Guat. City? BTW... I see you know about the Mayan Inn. One of the best in Chichi. An option that many take is to go from Antigua to Chichi...stopping for a few hours and then continuing on to Pana that afternoon. Pana is the best shopping spot in the country for about 90% of things. In fact many Chichi vendors are from Pana. If possible, go for the Sunday market. The cofradias are out then. Again...dates are crucial to give full advice. Happy trailmix. Beware of touts with links.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

Hi, I wonder if I can ask your advice. I have been trying to reserve rooms at Santo Tomas in Chichicastenanga for some time and am not able to communicate directly with the hotel at all. However,

I have received requests for dates,rooms, etc. from two sites: Tropical Travel Association and gotoguatemala.com, and also I think Mayan travel. This morning I received emails advising me to prepay

for our stay 7 months away. I did have to prepay for two nights in Antigua.

I am a new Yorker and therefore just a little suspicious ..........do you know of these agencies, are they

legitimate, is this how hotels in Guatemala rent their rooms. Oh, our dates are for the week before Easter,

maybe that makes a difference. I have travelled a lot over the past 12 years since retirement and this is

the first time I have had such difficulty reserving rooms. I would love to hear your take on this. Thank you

for your help. Gertrude Freyer

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

I have also received an offer of two rooms for three nights at Posada de Con Rodriguez at over

$200. per night inclusive of taxes, breakfast and dinner. I would have loved to stay at Hotel Atitlan (I

stayed there before with a tour group but they have no rooms available for April,2014.) What is your

opinion of Rodriguez hotel and of the nightly rate? I will be travelling with my daughter and her 6 year

old daughter. Thanks for your help. G. Freyer

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

Tropical Travel is legit. Dates around Easter are huge. Prices go up, places have minimum stays, and hotels do want deposits to hold reservations because demand is very high. I get your reluctance, but what you're getting is generally SOP for that time of year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

Thanks for your response. It sounds like you are probably right. New question: Does anyone know

if the market at Chichicastenango open on Palm Sunday? Thanks a lot.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

I'll vouch for Tropical Travel too, just email addressed to Duncan the owner, who is very helpful.

the Mayan Inn in Chichi is a Guatemalan experience all of its own and very recommended!! You are doing a lot, but think you've got a good balance there. The only thing I would do without is a night in Guatemala City, really not necessary at all, as you can so easily stay in Antigua, which is far nicer and safer.

A lot of people seem to have problems with San Thomas in Chichi - their loss, so I would go to the Mayan Inn instead!!

If you can avoid pre-easter week I would unless you are specifically wanting to see the Semana Santa (Easter Week) celebrations. Antigua is crazy for about 2 weeks up to Easter Sunday and booked up in advance more than 6 months in advance. So book now, but it may well be too late!

Alternatively be in Antigua at the beginning of the week and Lake Atitlan at the end for the major celebrations. Both Santiago Atitlan and San Antonio have wonderful processions and carpte (alfombras), but far far FAR less tourists!!

I think you mean the Posada Don Rodrigo - they have a hotel in both Antigua and Panajachel and are a nice place to stay. Personally though I would go for a hotel that actually has a view of the lake and where you can swim from: Isla Verde, Santa Cruz, Casa del Mundo, Jaibalito, Posada Santiago, Santiago Atitlan and the Bamboo Hotel, Santiago Atitlan. All much cheaper than either Atitlan (which is good but with terrible food!), or better still Casa Palopo in Santa Catarina!!

Or rent a villa through the Hotel Panza Verde, from Antigua, but with wonderful lake-front villas just outside of Pana!

Be sure to check out http://kayakguatemala.com/, (Elaine first post!!) as they can organize great Lake tours for you and in Antigua LAX Travel for trips to Tikal.

Good Luck and have a wonderful time!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night

When I went to Pana, I stayed at the Posada de los Volcanes, which is on the main drag, Calle Santander. They arranged for van pick-up from my hotel in Antigua, van travel from Pana to Chichi, and transport from Chicchi back to Antigua. I liked the hotel, and they get good reviews on tripadvisor. It's definitely not as upscale as Posada de Don Rodrigo, but if you are having trouble getting a reservation at your top choices, it might work. Here's their website: www.posadadelosvolcanes.com/eng/hotel.htm

I second the recommendation to go straight to Antigua from the airport--no need to stay in GC. You can walk out of the airport and catch one of the vans going to Antigua for $10 USD (they take American money). I don't know what the price is for children. Or you can take a taxi for around $35. BTW, it took me over 2 hours to go from the airport to Antigua because of traffic, but less than an hour on the return trip to the airport.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 08:55
Reply to: inclusive tour to lake atitlan for two days, one night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago Atitlan
More Santiago Atitlan Topics