We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

we are thinking the Livingston, Rio Tatin, Rio Dulce and Puerto Barrios areas but i can't find much on renting accomidations for extended times. We are looking to stay in one place 1+ months. in other places like lake atitlan i can find apartments for rent but i haven't found much on the Rio areas and what average costs are?! by atitlan i can find <$300/mo which is great!

anyone have anyother adice?

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

Puerto Barrios is probably not where you want to stay...it is a gritty working port town and does not have much to attract casual visitors.

Also keep in mind that "Rio Dulce" gets used in several different contexts. It can mean Rio Dulce Town (AKA Fronteras), the river itself, and the general area...normally this would include Livingston and Rio Tatin in the Rio Dulce area. Livingston is only about 15 minutes by skiff from Rio Tatin.

Finca Tatin on the Rio Tatin might work out a longer term rate for you.

In Livingston, check with Casa Rosada, its a great little place to stay.

I doubt you will find much on the web about longer term stays, best to contact them directly.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

You might find something helpful here: http://riodulcechisme.com/

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

Are you sure you want to be so HOT for so long? Even if you're from a hot region, I've found that it's a whole different planet when there's no way to cool down, even at night. Seems to me it would be rough on kids. Would be rough on me! I'd choose a highland location - springlike all year. :-)

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

Just jump in the Rio, but not around Livingston though.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

if we arrive in guat city and head up to the Rio how hard do you think it is to find accommodations without any prior reservations? maybe we'd stay 1 month and re-evaluate. if we don't like it we can always shoot over to the highlands.

i just feel like the Rio is a long river and we'd have a tough time finding a spot to rent without knowing much

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

Probably work out OK, but its a long haul from Guate City to the Rio...sure would suck to show up late in the day and have to scrounge around for a place to stay. So, I suggest making reservations for the first few nights. Gives you time to scout around.

Buses come into Fronteras (largest town on the Rio), so this is your most likely starting point. Lodging suggestions in or very near Fronteras: Brunos, Tijax, Tortugal, Hotel Kangaroo...all have web sites and I assume reviews here on TA.

Word of mouth is how most rentals, and property sales, happen on the Rio. Most people here are not going to rent to you without getting to know you.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 20:49
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

Thanks so much! I think we are leaning towards rio dulce, at least for 1 month. Just seems like a good place to explore the areas we want to rather then atitlan area

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

If I may be so bold (having only spent 2 months in Guatemala), I would definitely not make this decision without spending one or two weeks in each area first. Each of the areas you are considering has its pros and cons and all have some logistical challenges for getting in and out, requiring at least one boat each.

Rio Dulce, Livingston and Atitlan are each marvellous and affordable enough in the short term to "taste-test" before committing to. :)

9. Re: deciding where to stay for 3.5 months!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 09:17