We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Livingston

Which Livingston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Livingston

I've been living in Guatemala for going on 13 years. My husband is from Antigua and we live in Xela at the moment. It's too friggin' cold! For reasons that I'm not going to bore you with (not just the cold), we have thought about moving to Livingston.

I've honestly never been there before, and we are going to go and see it at the end of the month and look at housing. Anyone have any information on where I can find furnished apartments?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Livingston

You have a Goldilocks problem. Xela is too cold, Livingston will probably be too hot! You'd probably have an easier time looking for a place around Rio Dulce.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Livingston

Only hell could be too hot.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Livingston

The classifieds on the www.riodulcechisme.com forum would be your best source of information

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Livingston

Definately visit before you pack. Not everyone likes Livingston. Only a few gringos live there, but there are a lot of gringos in some areas of the Rio (see riodulcechisme as advised).

Stuart who runs Casa Nostra is one of the small gringo population in Livingston. I suggest contacting him to discuss living in Livingston.

http://casanostralivingston.com/

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Livingston

Thank you for the replies! I definitely prefer places with less gringos. I've lived here so long (since I was a teenager) that I really relate more to Guatemalans anyways.

I'll check out the links and have contacted some friends in both Puerto Barrios and in Rio Dulce. Some people are suggesting Mariscos now... ah, I have a lot of looking around to do!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Livingston

Mariscos might be another interesting option. Pretty area on Lago Izabal. Tourist traffic there is mostly Guatemaltecos.

Dennys Beach (lodging/bar/resturant) is not far from Mariscos.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Livingston

Also, Livingston is unique in that it is one of the few places in Guate where you see any significant population of African descent. More Garifuna/Creole and Mayan there than Ladinos I think.

Check out Siete Altares while you are there, beautiful area.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Livingston

I haven't been in Mariscos in about 20 years. Sounds like it's come up a bit.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Livingston

Mariscos is still very much "local", but I expect Audrey is OK with that.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Livingston

Ah yes, I'm fine with mostly locals! haha

I've found a few places in Rio Dulce but only one in Livingston. I'm going to travel out there in February and check things out!

If anyone knows of specific houses open for rent please reply!