We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Expertise Required

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Route Expertise Required

Once up in Guat's Caribbean coast, and needing to eventually head back into Costa Rica's southeastern coast, I would like to bypass both Guatemala City and San Jose.

I am under no time constraints and love watching the world go by outside my window. I wish to remain safe, isolated from perfume as much as possible, need to stay within a strict budget and don't mind over-knighting at local hotels or stretching my legs at small villages along the way.

My guides and my research are getting me nowhere.

Any local experts out there care to showcase their brilliance? Any ideas considered and appreciated.

J in Calgary :)

2 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Expertise Required

I'm not sure how you will remain isolated from perfume, but I can help you get from Guate's Puerto Barrios to Honduras' Puerto Cortes on public transportation.

There are chicken buses that will take you from Puerto Barrios to the Guatemala/Honduras border, and the Honduran-equivalent of chicken buses that will take you from the border towards Puerto Cortes. I can't speak for their safety now, because I took that trip over 10 years ago. However, I can say that the trip was uneventful, if a bit bumpy on the Honduran side (the Guatemalan side was paved).

Once in Honduras, we stopped in Omoa and spent a couple nights there. Omoa was my favorite spot on the Guatemalan/Honduras carribbean coast. If you want to travel on towards Tela/La Ceiba or the Honduran bay islands, you will need to transfer in San Pedro Sula, which is another dirty, crowded polluted city. But you can take first-class buses from Puerto Cortez to San Pedro Sula, and from San Pedro Sula towards Tela/La Ceiba.

This is a handy resource for bus schedules: http://thebusschedule.com/EN/hn/

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Expertise Required

Thank you for your very thoughtful post, Tulipancita! I have heard some safety concerns about Honduras recently, but will do some research on your route!

Thanks again,

J

Reply to: Route Expertise Required
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted