We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes the volcanoes

Which Quetzaltenango hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes the volcanoes

Hi,

I was wondering what is the best volcanoe/mountain to climb around Quetzaltenango, lake Atitlan or Antigua. I'm obviously interested in seeing the Santiaguito Crater, but I read it was a pretty easy hike. What would be your top 5 hikes in this area?

Thanks for your help,

Math

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes the volcanoes

Also, can you hike by yourself without paying a company?

Crowsnest Pass...
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes the volcanoes

Acetenango Volcano outside of Antigua. Can be done as a day hike or an overnight. If you go to the Thorn Tree forum there was a discussion a while back about how to do it on your own. I didn't so can't comment on that. By hiring a local guide you are contributing to the economy of the village at its base. I did the hike with Old Time Outfitters in Antigua. Included in the price was a local guide as well as the company guide. They are more expensive than some of the others but do provide qualtiy service.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes the volcanoes

Thank you for your help!

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes the volcanoes

We booked a hike to El Mirador Santiaguito through Adrenalina in October. I have already forgotten the price, but it was pretty reasonable - around 250Q. The shuttle picked us up at our hostel - we were the only ones booked that day, or it would normally leave from their office, I think. We had our own guide, and he was terrific. He had gone to college for tourism and spoke great English and was willing to let us practice Spanish on him. He made a point in telling us that we were crossing private lands, and the farmer that owned those lands actually met us on the trail and took us to the lookout.

They mentioned banditos robbing tourists occasionally so I was happy the farmer and his pack of dogs were there for the extra company.

As for the hike itself, it's rated "easy" but it wasn't overly so. It's about an hour and a half up, and the first half is steep and rocky. The terrain changes dramatically halfway through, and the second half is pretty easy. The view is definitely worth it. The sun is just coming up when you get to El Mirador, and the eruption was incredible.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes the volcanoes

Thanks for your help, may I ask where was your hostel?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes the volcanoes

I hiked Volcan Tajumulco with Quetzaltrekkers and had a thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding experience. It's an overnighter, normally starting (very) early on a saturday morning and returning to Xela on sunday afternoon (their website has the up to date schedule). Because it's the highest point in Central America it's generally good to have at least a few days to acclimatize to the higher altitude before attempting, unless you're really experienced. Xela is on average about 2.3KM above sea level so is a good place to chill for the few days before.

Also QT have ALL the stuff you need, seriously you could turn up in your underwear and they would get you equipped and ready to spend a night on the summit.

7. Re: Hikes the volcanoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Quetzaltenango