We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tikal in August?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
72 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tikal in August?

Hi all,

We are hoping to visit Tikal in August as part of a longer Guat. trip. We are not backpackers; we are what is called today "seasoned" travelers (but not retired). We are in good health but hardly miracles of fitness.

We absolutely have to have efficient, quiet, A/C, so the lodges in the park are out. We are thinking about the Camino Real.

We would probably arrange a package in Antigua for 2 nights, so hopefully shuttles, etc., would not be a problem.

Is this worth doing, or is the weather just too much? I know to expect mosquitos and rain.

We would prefer not to be captives at a hotel, and to be to walk to other places to eat. However, nothing is more important than quiet, efficient A/C if it is as hot and humid as everyone says.

Anyone been to Tikal recently in mid-late summer? All pointers on lodging, tours, package operators, meals, security, appreciated.

THANKS much,

Sylvia in southern CA

Panajachel
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tikal in August?

Well I don't really know much about Peten/Tikal but the place I recomend you to go to is Lake Atitlan.

You said that you like quiet places so I suggest the town of Santa Cruz La Laguna. It is a place full of wonderful people, really nice hotels that have lots of greenery and are exceptionaly quiet!

Plus there are tours which can take you to see beautiful parts of town that not all tourists get to see exept the local people.

There are also kayak tours and a spa that has the most wonderful view of the lake.

Or you could go dive and see this beautiful lake and the fish that live in it

If you are interested in this place and would like more info just send me a private message!

2. Re: Tikal in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Tikal National Park