We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

RiverdaleTO
4 posts
Save Topic
3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

We will be in Antigua on Dec 14-15 and are looking to book a 3-day tour (including return flight from GC to Flores) to Tikal shortly after we arrive. Thinking 2 nights in Tikal or possibly 3. I am pretty sure the hotel in Antigua will have a travel office but always appreciate recommendations. Can anyone recommend a decent tour company in Antigua that does this sort of trip?

There are 2 of us but we would join a slightly bigger group, Not interested in being part of a large contingent though, if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

All I can tell you is what I've read on this forum and on the lonelyplanet forum. There'll be plenty of tour operators in Antigua offering a Tikal package including air fare. The only one you have to watch out for is a company b y the name of Maya Tours which also claims to be part of the Lonely Planet. There have been many complaints against the owner, a guy by the name of Cesar.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

I've seen some good reviews for Rainbow Travel in Antigua. http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com/index.html

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

The previous warning in Antigua should have been for RUTA MAYA TOURS, which gives bad service and lies about being connected with Lonely Planet.

Cesar sounds like an entertaining ignoramus. Hopefully he no longer thinks that Maya warriors used salt as part of their armor, but you never know.

If archaeologist Roxie Ortiz is still available via Tikal Inn, she will be the best guide at Tikal.

I would play it by ear and not book more than one night in Tikal at a time. You can find other things to do back in and around Flores, so the flight date back is not important.

Ontario
Level Contributor
541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

Stay at the Tikal Inn. Great swimming pool for relaxing after wandering in the ruins!

baltimore
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

Two nights in Tikal are sufficient to see all the ruins and do get a guide...we just returned and Anthony (Tony) was the best, he grew up in the area with a father who was part of the original excavation team. We used the Guatemala Mystic Experience and were pretty pleased with the service, accomodations, the Jungle Lodge, flight and price...enjoy the ruins they are incredible!

6. Re: 3-day tour to Tikal - recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tikal National Park