We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

Sorry, I'm sure there are thousands of posts about this, but I couldn't find one with my answers.

We are going to Belize in a few weeks and will go straight to Flores/Santa Elena and will possibly stay at the Jaguar Inn Santa Elena. (not booked yet)

I found out you can get a transfer (collective group) from the Jaguar Inn to Tikal for 60Q p/p.

I'm wondering is it easy to get a tour once in Tikal or is it best to try to schedule it in advance.

Also are there any other places to stay for reasonable prices $30 to 50 US p/night and get transfers.

It doesn't have to be in Flores, but we will be taking the linea dorada bus and it will drop us off near Santa Elena and even Flores if we needed to.

We will be there on March 20 and will be doing the tour of Tikal on March 21 (Spring Equinox) and I'm not sure how booked/crowded it will be for that day.

Thank you very much.

Anthony

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

Lots of good options in that range in Flores - check out

www.corpetur.com

My favorite is Casona de la Isla.

Have you considered staying in the park? It's more expensive but imo worth the splurge in order to take advantage of the cooler evening and early morning hours when wildlife is active and you practically have the place to yourselves.

You can ask at the guide desk but not all guides are created equal. Some are good and some don't appear to know what they're talking about but pretend they do. Here's the website for a really fantastic guide - highly recommended. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

Only place I called was Jaguar Inn in Tikal and the lady I spoke to said she only had one night available.

Only reason we need two is because I don't believe there are any buses that leave Tikal/Flores/Guatemala after noon to go back to Belize city.

Unless I'm mistaken we have to leave at 7AM to catch a bus back to Belize, but would prefer to go back the same day after our tour.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

I thought Casona de la Isla was fine, though it's on the higher end of your price range. You might consider someplace in El Remate, a quiet little town much closer to Tikal. I stayed at La Casa de Don David, and they arrange tours. Personally, I like to have those things arranged ahead of time, especially if I'm on a tight schedule.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

I have stayed at the Jaguar Inn located in Santa Elena. It's a few blocks away from the bus station and is an ok place to stay at for the price. Hotel Sabana, Hotel Santana, Hotel Villa del Lago, and Hotel Casazul are all located in Flores and cost between $30 and $40 per night (with a/c).

Why do you have to catch the 7 am bus to Belize City when there are also numerous colectivos available that go that same route? If you have trouble getting in touch with Roxy Ortiz as some people do (including me) for being your guide at Tikal, here's another choice who I used many years ago and he also speaks fluent English - Axuan Shankara - Naturalist guide for Tikal- (email) axuanshankara@hotmail.com

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

I just assumed that the only way to get to Belize City was with the 7am bus, or the easiest route.

I'd prefer to go back to belize the same day, but not sure where to look or schedule that and to get it for around the price of the linea dorada.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

You can arrange transportation on the fly or ahead, with a tour or in isolation, overnight or day trip - check out

www.pacztours.net

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

I've researched pacztours.net, but was looking for something much more affordable from within Tikal or Flores already.

Which is why we would take the linea dorada from belize city to flores and stay there or Santa Elena and take a tour the next morning.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

Anthony.....If you choose the Linea Dorada bus to Belize City, you'll have to leave Tikal and go back to Santa Elena to the bus station. The Linea Dorada bus will leave from there. You could always take the afternoon Tropic Air flight from Flores back to Belize City. Just a thought if money is not an issue.

Here's what Stacey and I recommended to another poster in the past, even though he didn't take my advice for the colectivo. I still told him how to do it and all you have to do is catch a shuttle or colectivo from San Ignacio to Belize City after crossing the border and arriving to San Ignacio:

tripadvisor.com/…35489052

You can by-pass Flores and Santa Elena altogether if you do as I suggested in this past post.......

Edited: 09 March 2012, 00:47
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

Unfortunately price is an issue as this was an addition to our trip and wasn't part of our budget, which is why we are choosing to use the linea dorada and stay somewhere decent and fairly priced.

This is also why I was asking about tours inside Tikal once you arrive and not paying $70 P/P from our hotel.

Does anyone know the cost for a group tour at Tikal, not going from San Ignacio or Belize City?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Days in Guatemala. Day trip to Tikal

Are there any buses or collectivos that leave Guatemala after 2 or 3 pm to Belize City, for around the same price for the linea dorada