We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zipline near Tikal?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Zipline near Tikal?

I heard that there was a zipline near Tikal. Does anyone have any details?

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

www.ixpanpajul.com

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
911 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

Hi gwfamily

We did it last year, and it was great fun. Three of us did it -me 63! hubby 66! and son 40 - who was the ony one of us who was scared! We went with Canopy Tour Tikal and there were two trips to chose from :-

1. A 20 minute guided walk into the depth of the forest along an ecological pathway where the well informed guide points out birds and monkeys and other animals. There's 11 platforms and stell zip lines of 75,100 and 150 metres long, to a height of 25 metres. Altogether the trip is one kilometre long. This is suitable for all.

2. This one is located on the environs of the highway that leads to the Mayan ruins and is a short guided walk with the wildlife pointed out. This canopy has 7 zip lines, and two of them are 200 metres in length between the trees. This one is fast and high - 40 metres, and one kilometre long. This is the one we took.

You climb up the first ladder to the platform up the tree and then you keep descending till you reach the ground at the end of the trip. You're fastened into a harness and are hooked onto a safety line at all times between zip lines so it's perfectly safe. The whole thing is set on the side of a forested hill, so you're high up most of the time. Two guides were with us - one sent each of us in turn off the platform and the other guide was at the next platform to catch us in. You need a bit of a head for heights (which I don't, but that was overridden by the sheer fun of doing it).

We booked at our hotel - Jungle Lodge and a driver collected us and took us in his car (with his little boy in the front seat!) to the office.

The trips are from 7am till 5pm. You can make a reservation on:

Phone(502)7926-4270*5514-9257

Cel. 5615-4988*5499-3782

www.canopytikal.com

I'm sorry but I can't remember exactly how much it costs, but I recall that it wasn't expensive - about 30 USD each.

Hope this helps.

Delia

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

I have done the place where GringaLoca has put the website. Its a neat place close to Tikal. You can also do some canopy bridges....pretty neat..good walk and way to enjoy the outside..great views. This park also has campsite and horseback riding..also ATVs

Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

We did the canopy tour known as "La Ruta del Mono," which is located about a half-hour from El Remate on the Belize road. After harnassing up, you climb across a small suspension bridge and then enjoy the scenery as you zip along from 13 different platforms. We didn't see any animals at mid-day, but it was still a gorgeous introduction to the jungle flora. We also appreciated the very knowledgeable, safety-conscious guides, who made it easy for all ages to enjoy the 60-90-minute tour. For what it's worth, this is where the Survivor gang apparently came while they were at Yaxha.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

We did find the zipline just outside of the Tikal park gates. You cannot miss it. We loved it! Everyone in our family, except our 18month old, rode the ziplines. We were a bit reticent to let our 4 year old ride, but she insisted and the guides convinced us it was safe, which it was. So my husband and I, our kids, ages 8, 6 and 4 all had a wonderful time.

Northeast
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

Did your four year old travel the zip line by herself or were you allowed to travel tandum?

South Dakota
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

Do you know if there is a weight limit for the ziplines? My husband id almost 300 lbs and we don't want any unpleasant surprises when we arrive to do this.

8. Re: Zipline near Tikal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Tikal National Park