We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving conditions

New York City, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving conditions

Looking to find information on the condition of roads driving from Guatemala city to Tikal.

I land at Guatemala airport at 12 noon and the next flight available to Flores is at 6.30 pm. Rather than waiting 6 hours at the airport I was thinking to drive which is also 6-7 hours. Rather drive than wait at any airport. If somebody can tell me if driving is ok I will appreciate. Thanks

Stefano

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving conditions

The problem is that you'd be driving a few hours in the dark before you get to Tikal, and generally that is not recommended. I think it's particularly a problem if you haven't drive the route before. You could break it up with an overnight stop in Rio Dulce, but that would delay your arrival at Tikal. You could hop a cab over to the Zona Viva and have a nice lunch, maybe hit a museum, and then head back to the airport for your flight.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 20:57
New York City, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving conditions

Thank you for the advice. The lunch idea sound a good one. Stefano

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving conditions

If you mean drive as in rent a car, I wouldn't recommend it. It could be more like 8-10 hours each way counting finding your way out of the city and you would not want to drive at night. If you mean take a bus, then it's your call but if you can afford to fly, that would be my recommendation. You could arrange for a tour of the city - there are some wonderful museums at the University Francisco Marroquin. You'd need to return by about 4 so likely have about 3 hours total to tour.

Good luck!

Stacey

New York City, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving conditions

Thank you Stacey

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving conditions

I agree it's more like an 8 to 10 hour drive and finding your way out of the city may not be that easy. First class overnight buses are real comfortable and safe and by the time you wake up you'll be in Flores/Santa Elena. But I also agree that breaking up the trip with a stop over to explore the rio dulce area it's something you'll enjoy. www.litegua.com has hourly service to Rio Dulce on double decker modern comfortable buses. It's a five hour ride with a lunch stop at a very good restaurant. From there it's about 3 hours to Flores/Santa Elena.

6. Re: Driving conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Tikal National Park