We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tikal

LA California
1 post
Save Topic
Tikal

I will be staying in Gua city for a couple of weeks and using that as my base to go other places like Antigua, Matilan etc. but I would like to go to Tikal. How long does it take to get there (car/plane) what is the recommendations. What are the pitfalls, warnings, suggestions??

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tikal

You can get to Tikal with www.tikaljets.com or www.taca.com those are the two airlines that service Flores/Tikal from Guatemala City.

The flight is about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Taca uses propeller plane ATR on some of its flight.

Round trip is probably around $150 - $200

You can take a bus..or rent a car but your talking about a 6-8 hour trip.

The advantage is you can stop and check out Rio Dulce which is like a mid-way point.

Good luck and let me know..

Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tikal

It is so worth the money to book travel with one of the many travel agencies in Antigua. I hesitated to do this initially because I like travelling on a shoestring and doing things at my own pace. Let me tell you how glad I am that I paid the cash and sat along for the ride - it saved me energy to explore the amazing ruins. It is tons of a pain, not to mention pricey, to do all the segments of the trip separately. I recommend doing a one night stay so you can relax.. two nights is overkill. You may want to browse around the different travel agencies to compare price and what they include. The typical package includes air, transfer to the park, 4 hour tour, lunch for the first day, one night's accomodation, breakfast the second morning. There is a 50Q entrance fee into the park the first day, which may or may not be covered depending on where you stay. The price of food at all the establishments are relatively the same, with Jungle Lodge being the most expensive (it quotes its prices in $$). Definitely stay in the park - you have three options, Jungle Lodge, Tikal Inn, and Jaguar Inn. No real difference where you stay except the price. Be forewarned, all hotels shut down their electricity at certain times of the day, so be prepared to be very warm and sweaty!!! I know for sure the first two have pools, but never went around checking the third. Have fun and be safe.

3. Re: Tikal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Tikal National Park