We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

Hi! We're heading from Caye Caulker to the Cayo District at the end of January and plan to spend 3 days or so doing day trips from San Ignacio and hopefully an overnight in Tikal. It seems to make sense to go straight to Tikal, stay overnight and do a morning tour before heading back to San Ignacio for tours the following days. Would anyone be able to tell me if it's better to fly to San Ignacio and then cab to the border and hire someone on the other side to take us to Tikal (thanks for the suggestion hopefulist!) or fly to Flores and get ourselves to Tikal either by bus or driver? And how much of this (transportation, accommodation, tours) has to be booked in advance - can we just fly in and book things on the spot? From what I read, tours are easy to book upon arrival but I'm not sure about transport and hotels. Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

I'd check time and cost and decide; it will be 2+ hours by road from San Ignacio including the border crossing and about an hour from Flores by road. I'm a book aheader when lodging options might be limited. You're likely to find something in the park at Tikal but if a big tour group is passing through, maybe not; if you don't sleep in the park you can't do a sunrise tour. More transport options here:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Also, some guides can be a part of your transportation plan. I like tours with Roxy Ortiz so much that I schedule my visits around her availability. It can take her awhile to respond to emails so that's something I arrange as far in advance as I know my dates.

http://www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

Consider a visit to Yaxhá as well as Tikal, really amazing. Happy trails!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

Thanks hopefulist. Super helpful. I've looked into it and it makes way more sense, both financially and in terms of flight schedules, to fly to San Ignacio and find our way by land to Tikal.

I sent a message to Roxy a couple days ago. Hopefully I'll hear from her about her schedule so I can book the Tikal Inn. Just to be sure, you're recommending the Tikal Inn, not the Tikal Inn Sunrise, correct? I'm a bit confused - are they the same place?

Would you suggest a side stop in Flores and doing a boat tour before carrying on to Tikal?

One option we're considering in order to get around is to hire a private driver who would not only take us to Tikal but could drive us to anywhere else we want to go along the way such as Flores. We'd also use them for other side trips, and to make our way down the Hummingbird Hwy and to see different things along the way. Can anyone recommend a driver and what sort of cost would we be looking at?

Thanks!

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
726 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

Tikal Sunrise is the same as Tikal Inn...not sure when the name changed.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

I don't think the name ever changed, just the website URL. Flores is cute but I'd spend the extra time at Yaxhá. Shuttle driver ideas here:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

Thanks for your advice! We've booked Tikal Inn and a sunrise tour. Unfortunately Roxy isn't available when we're able to get there. Too bad but maybe next time ;)

6. Re: From Caye Caulker to Tikal for next day sunrise tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Tikal National Park