We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria pills

Lexington...
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria pills

I am traveling to Tikal in early February for 2 nights. Do I need to take malaria pills?

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria pills

I will most likely take them as the CDC recommends them for that area. You should visit a travel clinic and see what they say. There are several other vaccines that you might need.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria pills

I got all my shots when I was in the US Army. And I was stationed in tropical areas all over the world. And I don't recall ever having to take anything against malaria. When I visit guatemala I tend to spend a lot of time in the lowlands whitout having any problems. I wouldn 't want to put anything into my body without worrying about the side effects. The CDC gives general guidelines but I'm sure they don't go around the world inspecting country by country. This is something somebody knowleageable about malaria in guatemala posted on one of this forums some time ago "The malaria vector feeds at night, mostly at dusk. Day trips to Tikal don't need it.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria pills

It's been years since I bothered with malaria pills, and I can't recall the last time I saw a report of malaria around Tikal. But do your research and do what you feel best with.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria pills

I tend to be more cautious than most. I usually visit a Travel Clinic prior to any trip that may warrant special considerations since they deal all day with this sort of thing. We will be traveling to Guate in the rainy season and plan to spend the night at Tikal. We'll make a decision regarding health options when our trip date is a little closer.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
870 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria pills

Wise choice and much more sensible than seeking advice from total strangers on a Tripadvisor forum.

glendale arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria pills

insect repellent that's all you need, we went there in august no problems at all..

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria pills

I was just there and didn't really have an mosquito issues. I didn't get malaria pills.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
870 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria pills

Well that pretty much settles the question. Now we all can ignore the CDC recommendations because two posters on this forum visited Tikal without taking malaria prophylaxis, and neither came down with the disease. Never mind that the latest post is from someone who may not even be past the two to three week incubation period for P. vivax and that neither one gives us any reason to think that she is qualified to provide advice on this topic. And not being aware of mosquito bites is no guarantee of protection, since the main anopheline vectors of malaria in Central America tend to bite indoors at night while their victims are sleeping.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria pills

I'll be taking Malarone since we will in the Preten region for five days. Picking it up from the pharmacy today. I tend to be more cautious then most. We also were re-vaccinated for typhoid since our previous shot was over 3 years ago. I would consult with a travel clinic in your area.

Tikal National...
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria pills

Dear visitor to lowlamds of Peten, seriuosly I advise to take your Malaria pils in order to keep away of any Malaria or dengue,do not get scared but the best is to fallow cdc instructions.Dengue mosquitoe is a day mosquitoe, Malaria is a night one. Im from the area and in 40 years I had malaria and dengue so do not save on this issue, for the 40 years I have guiding the people had taken the necesasary to avoid this problem, and most of the people I guided in only one case that I know they got secondary efects which is very similar efects like malaria I would not call myself an expert but the jungle is my work, and we go for updating at least 40 hours per year which is a must to renew our guiding licence and also have taken many trayning in malaria issues.