We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras?

American Airlines is running some great specials on flights from Miami to Guatemala City, Managua and San Pedro Sula. My wife and I are just planning a quick trip, 4 or 5 nights and were looking for something a little different than just a Carribean resort.

We'd like a pretty nice place to stay, possibly on the beach. But, if there are cool ruins in the mountains, I wouldn't rule that out. I really don't have any background on any of these destinations, I was just looking for a cool alternative to a regular Carribean beach resort. We'd like to remain pretty relaxed on our trip, though.

Can anyone list a couple pros and cons for me on these destinations? Thank you!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras?

Hi chemmie,

My vote would be for San Pedro Sula. This choice would allow you to jump over to Roatan or take a 3 hour bus ride to Copan. Either has great potential for a wonderful 5 day vacation.

In 5 days you could look around Roatan, there are many areas that you would enjoy. I know West Bay Beach is changing rapidly as development there has taken on a feverish pace, but it is hard to not enjoy the incredible snorkeling 50 yards from your room. The beach is stunning.

Copan is a lovely town, lots of restaurants, places to stay, and one of the best ruins you'll see. Different from Tikal in it's size, but very interesting and important in the Mayan world. Good combination of an enjoyable town and ruins together, unique in that sense. The Copan option would also allow you to visit Santa Rosa de Copan which is also a lovely Honduran town that is not touristy, but would give you a nice couple of days. Stop in at Pizza Pizza and Warren will be happy to give you some ideas.

Either place will leave you wanting to see more of Honduras. I'm sure someone like Charlie who lives on the mainland will give you some good advice that you can be assured is accurate.There are places on the coast around La Ceiba you might also enjoy.

If you are interested reply with your e-mail address and I will give you access to our family's travel journal that shows many places in Honduras from our most recent trip there.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras?

Thanks for the info. That will at least get me on the right track to getting some more info on these locations. I wasn't even sure where to start. Living in Florida, I just can't bring myself to take a vacation to the Carribean when I have the beach a half-hour away. I would love to relax on the beach, but I need something else.

This is sounding good and I would love to see your pictures. My email address is my user name (chemmie) for this site !

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras?

You also should have a look at La Ceiba, just 20 min out of town your in the mountain jungle, there are lots of thing to do and see I think you should have a look at Omega tours they have nice rooms and do all the tours ie rafting, lagoon trips (we saw monkeys and lots of birds)

I was there 4 months ago and will be going back this winter.

They are a couple of other (higher end) places to stay up there one is a very nice Bed and breakfast right next to Omega.

Here are there web sites:

You can fly to La Ceiba from San Pedro or get a bus or ask these places about airport pick up.

Hope you have a great time in Honduras!

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras?

Guatemala- You have to visit Antigua, Lake Atitlan...and perhaps if you have time/money fly to Tikal to see Mayan ruins. There is soo much to do there. Guatemala is my favorite, but i think you really need to plan to get the most of it. Where as Honduras, (Roatan) you can sit in one place and just enjoy..

Honduras- I am from Florida... but this beach beats anything i have seen in Florida. Cant beat the incredible snokeling and scuba right off the beach in West Bay, Roatan..the reefs are amazing... Dont expect Cancun... just laid back...and dont expect incredible resorts..still alittle behind there. La Ceiba is great for jungle trips..and white water rafting... Copan Ruins to see Mayan ruins.

Nicaragua-- have visited but not enough info to give a report.

Hope this helps.

Also make sure to check out www.spiritair.com they have good deals to Guatemala now... and will be starting service to Honduras & Nicaragua very soon.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions...

5. Re: Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 19:22