We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety for single woman traveler

iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
safety for single woman traveler

My 23 year old college student daughter bought her airline tickets for Honduras (can't remember which coastal city) and signed up for a month of language school this summer. Unfortunately, she's running short of funds for the school, so she's opting to go anyway and find work -trade for a month. She knows no one there, has no contacts, but she has lived in Villahermosa, Mexico for a semester and is confident that she will do fine. I'm really nervous about this whole idea. What do you guys think? Will she find work? Will she be safe?

Pinole, California
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: safety for single woman traveler

This strikes me as a really bad idea. Honduras is not Mexico; the crime rate is much higher, and the coast in particular and places where foreigners come are apt to be foci of robbers.

I am not a nervous mother; I travel alone in the region all the time, and have since I was a teen-ager. I would urge her to try to find some way to make contacts before she leaves; can't the language school help her with a home stay?

As far as finding work, Honduras is the poorest country in Latin America, so I am dubious.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety for single woman traveler

If she is going to La Ceiba or Roatan..she should be fine. There are binual schools that she could probably find work. i think she will be safe... but find out what city and let me know. eric-holbik@aimargroup.com

I am an american living in san pedro sula honduras....i can help with some advise.. been here almost 2 years...

let meknow

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safety for single woman traveler

Millay -

If your daughter is on Roatan or Utila she will probably be able to find some work to tide her over for a while. On mainland Honduras the practice of hiring foreigners is less common, the unemployment rate is quite high, job competition is fierce and wages are low. It is of course illegal for her to work on a tourist visa. If she has been in Honduras several weeks without a problem I would see no reason to start worrying about her safety now just beacause she is looking for work. Though definitely third world Honduras does have numerous Western Union locations.

Charlie Meador, La Ceiba, Honduras

iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety for single woman traveler

It's me again, the worried mom.

My daughter has been an au pair in the Netherlands, lived on an isolated Maine lobstering island, toured Ecuador with her brother, lived in Villahermosa, Mexico for a semester, etc. This trip to Honduras is just the latest adventure. To be clear, she is not going to attend the language school she planned to b/c she ran out of money to pay for it. But she still has a ticket to La Ceiba, so she is going to fly there for a month this summer. She has no job, no place to stay, not that much money.

I appreciate your feedback very much. Eric, she tried to contact you, but the email address didn't work. Can you send it again?

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety for single woman traveler

Hey... try eholbik@yahoo.com or

eric-holbik@aimargroup.com

Seems like your daughter has traveled many places..so she probably "street smart" and knows the common sense of traveling alone.

La Ceiba is a party town and gets is share of tourists...its the transit point to get to the Bay Islands..via ferry or airplane.

Let me know!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety for single woman traveler

I've heard that it's pretty dangerous in some of the isolated little villages. My 18 yr old and a friend made a trip down there 8 years ago and were OK but did get stranded in a garifuna town near Tela but miraculously ran into a friend they had met on the boat down there (back when there was boat service out of Port Isabel TX). My parents were living in SPS and they took buses from there to Tela and La Ceiba and ended up in Roatan. I have a good friend in Roatan who might know of something for her.

susanitaq6@yahoo.com

Azusa, California
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safety for single woman traveler

I was recently offered a teaching position in Puerto Cortes... as the school year is starting soon I need to make an immediate decision about the job. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this city or with Atlantic School. Could you send me any links that might be helpful in familiarizing myself with the area and help in the decision? How far is Puerto Cortes from La Ceiba and the Bay Islands?

Can you give me an idea of the cost of living? If I get free housing and L. 6,000/month, is that decent pay?

Thanks so much for your help.

Tamara Neal

uturntammy@hotmail.com

Azusa, California
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: safety for single woman traveler

I was recently offered a teaching position in Puerto Cortes... as the school year is starting soon I need to make an immediate decision about the job. I was wondering if you were familiar with this city or with Atlantic School. Could you send me any links that might be helpful in familiarizing myself with the area and help in the decision? How far is Puerto Cortes from La Ceiba and the Bay Islands?

Can you give me an idea of the cost of living? If I get free housing and L. 6,000/month, is that decent pay?

Thanks so much for your help.

Tamara Neal

uturntammy@hotmail.com