We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honduras weather in late January/early February?

california
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Honduras weather in late January/early February?

I'm just starting research on a possible trip to Honduras at the beginning of next year. I'm having a hard time finding weather information (high/low temps, precip. averages) for locations other than Tegucigalpa. We would be interested in beach (island) locations, as well as more interior ones for trekking, etc. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, but as I've just started my research I don't have any areas in particular in mind.

Thank you for any insight.

Monroe, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honduras weather in late January/early February?

Weatherunderground used to have information many Honduran cities. You can look at weather history also.

…wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

January/early February is towards the end of the rainy season in the Bay Islands. On the mainland it is still the dry season, our rainy season doesn't start until late April or early May.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honduras weather in late January/early February?

Angel -

When Westie says late January and early February are towards the end of rainy season on the island don't misinterpret, its still monsoon season (December-February). You do get lucky and see a day of sun a week, maybe.

This has been my experience in La Ceiba over the past seven years which is on the coast on the mainland and shares the same weather patterns as the islands 20 miles away.

March and April are great weather on the coast and islands but void Easter week (Semana Santa) when the entire country goes to the beach.

If you stick to the western highlands (Copan) and the south (Tegucigalpa) its a different story as Westie suggests.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honduras weather in late January/early February?

Boy, the weather must have changed a lot since I lived there. It used to be the March and April was the hot and dry season and people cleared their fields by burning them. Lot's of smoke in the air and hot hot hot.

Monroe, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honduras weather in late January/early February?

March and April are hot, hot, hot especially towards the interior....and it is the burning season. It was 106F in San Pedro this past April, the airports were frequently closed because of the smoke from fires. Maybe it isn't so bad over by La Ceiba, but SPS, Tegus, and the interiro were horride

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honduras weather in late January/early February?

Hey Westie,

Siguatepeque has lovely weather, doesn't it? I haven't been there in over 20 years but I remember thinking I would like to live there - all the fresh vegetables and roses....