We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I go in Honduras?

FL
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where should I go in Honduras?

Hi All:

I'll be traveling to Honduras in May for 6 days with my mother and sister. We will be staying in Puerto Cortes for the first night or two since we are going to visit a family friend. Then we plan on staying two nights in Copan to see the Ruins. We still have 2-3 days left and we are not sure where to go? Any suggestions? We were thnking of La Ceiba since we love the beach and we understand the carribean sea is beautiful there. However, it is a 6 hour bus ride. Any recommendations? Places to stay?

Thanks much,

Joanne

MO
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I go in Honduras?

Joanne, The beach in La Ceiba is not very good. The beach in Tela is much nicer and much closer.

Mark

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I go in Honduras?

I also would recommend Tela, or catch a puddle jumper to either Roatan or Utila for a couple days on the island. Roatan is much nicer and Utila is more budget conscious.

FL
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I go in Honduras?

Thank you to both for your responses. Any suggestions on where to stay in Tela? How to get from Copan to Tela? I also then need to arrange to get back to the airport in San Pedro Sula from Tela? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again,

Joanne

MO
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I go in Honduras?

Joanne, Where to stay in Tela depends on your budget. If you have a decent budget Cesar Mariscos is hard to beat. Their restaurant is, IMHO, the best in town. http://www.hotelcesarmariscos.com/ I have stayed at a good number of hotels in Tela and there are a number of decent cheaper options. As far as how to get from Copan to Tela. It will be very simple. Take a bus from Copan to San Pedro, then take a San Pedro to Tela bus. Then taxi to the hotel of your choice. The return is the same, bus to San Pedro then taxi to the airport.

Mark

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I go in Honduras?

I recommend you're hitting a Barnes & Noble, grabbing a Peru Travel guide and looking at options regarding logistics (bus vs. plane, distances etc...).

Sounds like you have a good itinerary so far....keep Utila/Roatan in mind if ya'll like to dive/snorkel; it's cheap and beautiful there. I haven't been to Tela so you maybe be able to snorkel there as well. Utila is mellower than Roatan, less beaches and less expensive.

Of course, you could always blow off Copan and go back to school

http://www.ca-spanish.com/UTILA/utila.htm

6. Re: Where should I go in Honduras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 08:29