We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP - travel tips from Cancun to Honduras

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
HELP - travel tips from Cancun to Honduras

HI,

having recently decided to join my girlfriend in her around the world trip, and only having two weeks off work (someone within the couple has to pay the bills...) i'm struggling to find an easy way to get to Honduras from Cancun, and make the most of the two weeks we will spend together.

before you ask...the only reason behind the Cancun's choice was purely to get the cheapest way to reach central america.

OK, useless preamble over, now to the facts.

we would like to spend most of the time in honduras, between the islands and at last one national park , perhaps couple of days in Belize on the way. (i'll flight back home from San Pedro Sula).

any tips on how to make our journey down to Honduras the quickest way possible?( wouldn't harm if the journey is interesting too) bus/overnight bus/boat?

obviously any other tip on where to stay will be welcome

Thank you to everyone that will find some time to help

Stef

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP - travel tips from Cancun to Honduras

if you've only got two weeks and want to see mainland honduras and the islands you really don't have time for a couple of days in belize without the whole vacation turning into a non stop bus and ferry ride. the only quick way to get from cancun to honduras is to fly (unless you want to spend at least two days on buses and then have a boat trip). one of the mexican airlines (can't remember which one) flies into san pedro sula, perhaps the fare isn't too scary from cancun although it probably won't be a direct flight.

you really should try and visit the mayan ruins at copan for two or three days (3.5 hrs from san pedro sula by hedman alas non stop bus) and then perhaps a couple of nights in the cloud forest at pico bonito just outside la ceiba (la ceiba is 3hrs by non stop hedman alas bus from sps). from la ceiba its a one hour ferry ride to either utila or roatan in the bay islands.

utila is the cheaper of the two islands and is more geared towards backpackers and divers, the crowd tends to be young and very international but its not as developed and polished as roatan, which has more resorts and tends to attract an older north american crowd.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP - travel tips from Cancun to Honduras

thank you very much for your useful reply.

Honduras recommendations sounds amazing!!!

i guess we have to decide if doing back to back transfers and reach Honduras as quickly as possible or reduce what we visit there and to take it easy on the way down and perhaps make few stops (belize couple of days) and just one between mainland Honduras and Utila.

at the end the issue will be only for me...what we dont see together she will visit nice i'm back to the UK...

3. Re: HELP - travel tips from Cancun to Honduras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:15