We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honduras Airport

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Honduras Airport

I have a 21 yr old traveling to Honduras and has a 6 hr layover at the airport from midnight to 6 am. How safe is this for a young girl traveling alone? What advice can you offer?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honduras Airport

which airport? there are several in honduras

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honduras Airport

I would bet this would be San Pedro Sula, since the others close earlier. I do not recall if you can stay at the airport though

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honduras Airport

Any idea how I can find out?

Kootenays
Level Contributor
412 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honduras Airport

I think if it was my 21 yo daughter, I'd contact Metrotel and have them send a taxi to get her, have her spend a few hours then, and then catch a taxi back.

Kootenays
Level Contributor
412 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honduras Airport

Let me just add my thinking. I've traveled through SAP several times and although I might be willing to spend the night there, I'd worry if it was my 21 yo daughter. She probably wouldn't appreciate my worry but I'd be willing to pay for the taxis and hotel.

Kootenays
Level Contributor
412 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honduras Airport

You can tell this question is close to my heart. There is a website devoted to this exact topic. www.sleepinginairports.com

SAP is apparently safe but not necessarily comfortable. So I guess if it were my daughter, I'd be OK with it.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honduras Airport

"how can i find out", look at the ticket or itinerary .

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honduras Airport

Well divenuts San Pedro Sula is not exactly a 24 hour operations so the Airport shuts down for the public, thats the reason I wonder if passengers can stay there overnight, you probably can I am just not sure so if anyone has experience with overnight staying at a Honduras airport that would be good to know.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Honduras Airport

Yes I have. Missed Spirit Air 1am flight because of a flat tire coming from Santa Rosa de Copan. Waited/slept in airport until morning flight could be purchased. Airline desks all closed. Several people doing the same thing as us. Cleaning staff working throughout the night in airport. No safety issues just boring.

10. Re: Honduras Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:42