We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Honduras - naive?

London, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Honduras - naive?

I'm currently travelling through Central America and the idea of picking up a cheap car for added independence crossed my mind.

I know it's probably a stupid idea but just how difficult would it be for a British person to purchase a cheap car and drive it from say Honduras to Guatemala and El Salvador?

I'm assuming very but if someone knew any practicalities such as registration, license, insurance, borders etc. I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Honduras - naive?

Well in the first place you would need to register it which I recommend you use a lawyer for that, for you to be able to cross the borders the cars papers need to be in your name to avoid problems. You can buy a car from about $1500 but that could be too old, I would say $2500 would be more like it. Insurance is optional in Honduras and for cheap car you probably only buy liability against third parties.

If you do buy a car please post your experience, if you need a GPS map for Central America check www.travelinghonduras.com

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Honduras - naive?

You could search on the Thorn Tree forum, too. Part of the problem is unloading it when you're ready to go home.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa…

3. Re: Driving in Honduras - naive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:40