We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Honduras the right destination?

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is Honduras the right destination?

I am planning a trip to central America. I have already been to Belize and Costa Rica. I am looking for the most scenic place that I am able to travel independently by renting a car. We are primarily interested in scenic day hiking ( without a guide)swimming in waterfalls, bird watching,scenic driving and snorkeling. Other options would be Guatemala and Nicaragua. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Honduras the right destination?

i think some time at the mayan ruins in copan, followed by a trip to the cloud forest of pico bonito, perhaps some time (with a guide) in the mozikto jungle and/ or some beach time on cayos cochinos, roatan or utila (no car, go by boat from la ceiba) may be what your looking for. mainland honduras is beautifully lush and the bird life is vast, leave the mainland and the bay islands have amazing water and coral reefs.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Honduras the right destination?

I agree with divenuts, you will find plenty of hiking and birds near Copan Ruins, you must see the beautiful ruins! I would drive from Copan Ruins, to Lake Yojoa, Tela then La Ceiba, afterwards take the ferry to Roatan or Utila and snorkel in one of the best spots in the world

Have fun

3. Re: Is Honduras the right destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:17