We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Topic
Weather

I have read several sites about the weather in Honduras and what it should be like, but what I want to know is what it is actually like NOW! Haven't booked yet, still questioning, but is it wet all day every day, does it mean the sea is too dangerous to swim in etc, are temperatures lower etc?Do all Dives/Padi courses stop at this time of year?

Probably booking for mid October to mid November to include a week mainland (Copan and Pico Bonito) then onto Roatan (Half Moon resort) but still planning.

Thanks L.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

its nice in the islands now but we've had a few showers in the last week, the beginnings of rainy season is in the air. october-november is the height of the rainy season in the bay islands so it will almost certainly rain to some degree in roatan probably heavily sometimes, half moon bay will be calm but water viz will be reduced. it will definitely be drier in copan and pico bonito should be somewhere in the middle.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 23:19
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

ps, diving still happens everyday rain or shine, temps will be mid 80's f usually, 70's f at night. the water will be around 80f at the surface.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

If possible, I would push your dates forward a bit, as mentioned Oct-Nov is still rainy season...and also hurricane season. Late Nov-Dec shuold get you out of rainy season, but that varies by year, and not yet into cold front season. Spring, late March - June is the best weather for the region.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

"ps, diving still happens everyday rain or shine..."

Diving in the rain? OMG you might get wet! :-)

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

rainy season in the bay islands finishes around the end of january.

Halifax, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

I am planning a trip to Central America for the month of January. After reading the above, I am thinking La Ceibai/ Bay Islands area is not the place to go for January. Does it rain all day usually or just a shower or two in the afternoon?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

january is generally the end of the rainy season on the islands and as such its hard to predict the amount or type of rain you'll experience. you could get showers mostly at night, you could get no rain at all or you could get sunny days followed by days of continuos rain.

i have spent several rainy seasons on the islands and have experienced weeks of sunshine and weeks of monsoon like rain. if its your only vacation of the year you're definitely taking a gamble, weather wise.

as far as la ceiba is concerned, it tends to get more rain because its at the base of a mountain range.

8. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:16