We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit through USA

Portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Topic
Transit through USA

Planning holiday to Honduras soon and all flights from the UK have a long transit time (10+ hours) at one or other airport in USA. As this transit time is overnight, are we able to leave the airport and book into a hotel for the night or is there facility at the airport to sleep? Do we have to claim our baggage and the re book in for onward flight? Would we need an esta certificate for this time?

Thanks L.

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
United States
United States
North America
Utopia Village
Utopia Village
#1 of 8 hotels in Utila
Las Cascadas Lodge
Las Cascadas Lodge
#1 of 23 hotels in La Ceiba
Puerta Azul
Puerta Azul
#1 of 5 hotels in Sandy Bay
Kootenays
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit through USA

If I have 10 hours, I leave the airport and go to a cheap hotel nearby. Check the website for sleeping at airports if you're interested in sleeping on the floor there. I've had to collect my luggage if the layover is longer than 12 or so hours. If the layover is less than that magic number (check with the airline) luggage just gets transferred to your next flight.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit through USA

if you're going via miami there's a hotel inside the airport.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit through USA

... same with Houston,a Marriott I think and lots of hotels very close to the Atlanta airport with free shuttles.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
California
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit through USA

Ten hours may seem like a lot, but getting out of the airport to a hotel and checking in the hotel and then having to be back at the airport two hours before flight is not so good either. If you have not booked, maybe you ought to see if you can get a longer layover without charge and then you could get a decent rest at a hotel.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit through USA

In case you didn't catch on to what kootenay said, there really is a site devoted to sleeping in airports. http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Interesting info.

California
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit through USA

I love that sleepinginairports site. I found it years ago but never researched where to sleep. I remember about 25 years ago in a Greek airport and it was very late. 90% of the people were on the floor sleeping! It was very strange to see!

7. Re: Transit through USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:18