We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are the local buses really unsafe?

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
are the local buses really unsafe?

Hi all, I am traveling with my two teenagers 17 &14 in March. We are on a budget. So my question is safety for taking a local bus. We will be staying at villas pico bonito for the 1st leg of trip, just wanted to take local bus on the way to la Ceiba area and perhaps herman atlas spelling) on the 2nd leg back towards sps. any clairty would be appreciated. I travel often and am not "usually" intimidated as I work in the city of Detroit in the heart of chaos. Please advise.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are the local buses really unsafe?

Chances are you'd be fine safety-wise, though I can't get out of San Pedro Sula fast enough; that place creeped me out years before it earned the title of 'murder capital of the world'. The trip is likely to take twice as long with local buses which will stop frequently enroute which would be a deal-breaker for me - doesn't make sense to save what would probably be $10-12 per person, especially since you're heading for a decidedly non-budget place near La Ceiba.

www.hedmanalas.com

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
758 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are the local buses really unsafe?

I would avoid local buses in Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula if possible, but we use them in the rest of the country and feel safe and haven't hesitated to travel on them with kids.

Even in local buses, there are variations in quality and speed. Some companies on main routes - like Transporte Cristina and Casasola Express - are quicker and more comfortable. Others are crowded and slower.

Buses from Pico Bonita area to La Ceiba should be fine.

As hopefulist suggests, Hedman Alas is a good bet from La Ceiba back to San Pedro Sula. Very secure, fast and comfortable and not that much more expensive.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are the local buses really unsafe?

You can take the hedman alas express bus from la ceiba to San Pedro sula (3 hr, only 1 stop) for $24 per person. I think the three of you could have your accommodation in pico bonito arrange a van or taxi to la ceiba for around $15 per person. Sure you can save money on local and non express buses but is it really worth spending hours of your precious vacation on slow uncomfortable buses to save perhaps $20 each?

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are the local buses really unsafe?

Excellent point! thanks for your wisdom. Travelling as a single parent is costly!

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are the local buses really unsafe?

I have another thought..... I pplan to stay some where around tela or Puerto Cortes for final two or three days, would a local bus on the way back west be safe ? Also, what would be the best mode of transport from Tela to airport, I understand its about 45 minutes?

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
758 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are the local buses really unsafe?

Tela would be a good choice for a few days. Garifuna Tours offers some good, affordable day tours. Check out their website.

I think it's closer to 90 minutes to the airport. Hedman Alas has buses to the airport from Tela at noon and 4 pm.

If you end up having to stay in San Pedro Sula to catch your flight, consider La Hamaca Hostel, which has a dorm and a couple of private rooms and nice public areas.

7. Re: are the local buses really unsafe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:18