We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power on Guanaja

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
23 reviews
Power on Guanaja

Saw a blog saying that the PowerCo on Guanaja is bankrupt and possibly shutting down in December.

Can anyone add to this?

4 replies to this topic
Honduras
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Power on Guanaja

Belco is still running, and it seems like there won't be a problem. All good so far!

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Power on Guanaja

Thanks Roland,

We are here and power seems more steady then Roatan! Hope to see you for the Biolumenensce kayaking.

Indian Land, South...
1 post
2 reviews
3. Re: Power on Guanaja

We just left the island (Feb. 26th) after a six week stay. Power was inconsistent at best. I do not know about the Status of Belco from a business perspective (except that it is poorly run) but service they provide is terrible. I hope they get it together soon. The island folks don't deserve being treated like this.

Honduras
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Power on Guanaja

Hello everybody,

Just an update here. As of March 2014 our local power company is still up and running, and are working on a solution. The power is being turned off from 2 am till 7 am in the morning because there is too little demand around those hours, and it would put them out of business due to the high fuel cost. But as I said, they are working on a solution, and most of the Hotels have backup systems or run completely on solar energy anyways.

Warm regards from the island!

Reply to: Power on Guanaja
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja