We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanaja Safety

2 posts
Save Topic
Guanaja Safety

Looking at traveling to Guanaja with my family and am taking a moment to pause and reflect on the American State Department's Honduras travel warning before booking reservations. Can anyone speak to the relative safety of Guanaja vs Roatan?

Thanks!

1 reply
Honduras
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guanaja Safety

Hello Susan,

I live on Guanaja since many years, and I can assure you that this island is one of the safest places you can travel to. Most of the times I don't even lock my door, and I always sleep with my doors open. There might be some opportunity theft like anywhere else in the world. But even that would only happen if you leave valuable things in very tempting places.

Roatan I also understand is very safe. Even though there are parts of town where you shouldn't be alone at night (like anywhere else in the world).

All in all the Bay Islands of Honduras are very safe, and have nothing to do with the bad reputation the Honduran mainland has.

Best regards from Guanaja :)

Reply to: Guanaja Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja