We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catching and cooking sea food

Maryland
6 posts
Save Topic
catching and cooking sea food

I'll be staying in Roatan at the end of March 2008.

Was wondering if it's OK to catch and cook your catch on the beach?

Probably staying at Fosters West Bay.

Also, which would be better for a couple who are used to very primitive conditions, room or treehouse?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: catching and cooking sea food

Roatan is pretty laid back, but not THAT laid back. The western part of the island is a marine sanctuary, and I believe it's permanently closed to all fishing, even by the locals. As for cooking on the beach, well, bonfires happen. The offices for the marine sanctuary are in West End and all the dive shops support their efforts, so it would probably be hard to get away with it. West End has LOTS of cheap fabulous eateries.

MK, are you trying to save money, or trying to do a back to nature thing?

To tell the truth I've seen some big groupers off shore that would feed a family for a week, and that's one of the tastiest fish there is, but I like diving in a place where the fish are protected.

Maryland
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: catching and cooking sea food

My wife and I are into nature and like to live off the land experiencing what mother nature has given us to sustain ourselves.

We try to fend for ourselves no matter where we travel.

I guess we'll be doing the local seafood place though it would be nice to snare a lobster or spear a nice grouper.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: catching and cooking sea food

MK, you might look at parts of the island away from the tourist areas. There is plenty of reef along the north shore, and part of it may be outside the sanctuary. I seem to recall that the sanctuary extended only over the western half of the north coast. That would be easy to check on line. Finding a place to stay is another matter. At the end of the road toward the east end of the island I saw folks pitching tents along a nice beach, and the reef offshore looked spectacular. But you'd need a car to get out there. Maybe you could find some available housing with some native family.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: catching and cooking sea food

You might to try Utila or even Guanja if your looking for stuff more primative.. although i dont know if the area is also protected...you might enjoy better??? did you check into those other two islands??

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: catching and cooking sea food

dhauk, if someone camped on any beach on Roatan they, for sure, want to get the permission of the owner of the property and that may not be an easy thing to do. To my knowledge there are no public 'camp grounds' on Roatan. The part of the beach that is considered public is the first 15 meters from waters edge. That may put a persons tent in the water when the weather turns and it still does not preclude the safe approach as being to get permission. And no, this is not a scenario where one can do it and ask forgiveness later, as all property owners are very protective of their beach front from what they perceive as squatting. I whole heartedly agree with you about leaving the fish, lobster, conch, there for continued enjoyment and repopulation, hopefully.

In the past the official Marine Park Reserve extended from the western point of the north shore to past Palmetto Bay. However, in an effort to sustain Roatan's remaining industry, tourism, which is largely based on diving and snorkeling, all of the island's reef system is coming under protective scrutiny. My understanding is that the Marine Park along with police are looking after other parts of the reef outside the old designated area, even including the south side of the island. Within the reef, and most certainly inside the reserve, fishing is catch and release only. Spear fishing is not allowed. You may hire a boatman to take you to deep water to fish for eatable fish or you may sport fish for bone fish (catch and release as eating them makes no sense).

If you do hire a boatman to take you fishing, then please do not allow him to tie up to a dive buoy to fish. Yes, it is free water but the dive industry placed the buoys for diving and there are lots of ocean far away from those buoys in which to fish. And please do not set anchors over reef to fish.

MKSmith consider this: Before there was tourism, Islanders fed their families from what they were able to gather or hunt from the land or sea. As you put it they lived off the land. They are no longer able to do so due to the decline in fish, lobster, conch, deer, iguana, and wild boar are long gone. There were many factors that have led to that decline. None the less, the islanders went from that life to one dependent upon tourism, in what must seem like to them, overnight. If I were an Islander and I saw you taking without giving and then returning to your house of plenty, I would be perturbed by that. These are issues about which Islanders have a growing interest. So I suggest that if you want to catch your own fish to eat then you hire a boatman to take you out fishing or buy the fish from a local fisherman.

Please don’t misunderstand, I am not suggesting that you come here and throw money around as that is as detrimental as the other alternative we just talked about.

There are fishermen who will help you grill it outside at Fosters or many of the other resorts.

There is the alternative of renting a place outside the reserve that has a dock and fish from it. We did that one year and had some fun evenings fishing with our son ~ caught a shark one night. We mostly bought fish and lobster from a local man who brought to our doorstep. Our lesson was it was fine to buy the fish, but not the lobster as it had sat in the boat a long time and one he brought was full of eggs.

Yes, I am one long winded (whatever), hey. Guess I need to get out some. But when I do I meet people who needed information before they got here.

Sustainable tourism requires a lot of words it seems.

6. Re: catching and cooking sea food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 17:22
Get answers to your questions about Roatan