We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs on Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs on Roatan

Are there ATMs on Roatan? Can we exchange $Canadian easily? Should we bring $US? Thanks

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATMs on Roatan

There are ATMs. Not sure if they are serviced often especially those not located outside banks. Banks are either in Coxen Hole or the French Harbor area, both of which would take some time and expense to get to. I am not sure if the banks exchange Canadian $ or not, but again going to the bank here can take quite a bit of time out of your day. Depending upon the day, the lines can be quite long.

Bring USD.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATMs on Roatan

Your best bet is to make sure you have a visa debit card,my self,wife and brother-in-law had mastercard and most atm's and banks wouldnt accept it.If you find an atm working get enough out for a few days,for some reason its a roll of the dice finding one in operating condition

All the bars and restaurants would take any credit card its just that the atm's wont,maybe the visa commercial is right.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATMs on Roatan

Don't take Canadian money, bring US$.

canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATMs on Roatan

We are also travelling from Canada and had the same question. Our plan is to bring both US $$ and the local currency. Our understanding is the dive shops,etc will use only US $$ but the local restaurants and stores will probably have a better rate if you have lempira. ??is that correct?

We've also been told not to bother with traveller cheques as there is typically a fee for using these.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ATMs on Roatan

The difference between using US Dollars or Lempira is very minimal and not really worth worrying about.. I recently have seen exchange rates that varied from 18.79-1 to 18-89-1 which would only come to around a difference of $5 us dollars per thousand if you got the worse rate all the time.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ATMs on Roatan

Cat -

You will find a fairly complete list of ATM locations at the Author's Tips Section of the Bay Islands Diver web site at http://www.bayislandsdiver.com/index.htm

Do bring US Dollars as opposed to Canadian. They are worth less but more generally accepted. Many merchants have problems with Travelers' Checks as the local banks will sit on them 45 days before firming up a deposit.

Have fun!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATMs on Roatan

CRMeador,

That's a great website with a host of information. I will print and bring with me on our two-week trip in January. I, like others, am pretty concerned with bringing all cash for a two-week trip, especially when there isn't a safe in our accommodation. I wish the ATM situation was more reliable.

One question I have after reading the website. What's a Baliada?......I googled with no success.

Pat

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ATMs on Roatan

patlynn

If you google search "baleada" you will find all you ever wanted to know about them.

Eric

They vary in price tremendously around the island

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATMs on Roatan

baleada is a flour torilla will eggs, refried beans...and the local honduras sour cream.... plus people put other stuff in it.... its good stuff...

Bring cash...... although there are ATMs..... sometimes they dont work..... and alot of places we went didnt take credit cards...or charged a surcharge for the use of the cards...

better to just have the cash....

10. Re: ATMs on Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 19:20