We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan Accomodations

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Roatan Accomodations

We are planning a trip to Roatan for October 2008. I am having some difficulty choosing a resort/hotel. Ideally we would like to stay at two different places as we will have two weeks. I was thinking a week or so on each side (north and south). We want to do a lot of diving although we are not hard core divers. We would like to be able to snorkel as well. The places I am considering are Coco VIew Resort, Royal Playa Resort, Reef House for the south side and then Paya Bay Resort and Turquise Bay resort on the north side. We want nice accomodations with a view of the water, a smaller place that is tranquil and decent included food. We are not big drinkers and don't need a lot of acitivity as we mostly want to scuba dive and relax. Any advice on any of these places would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Paya Bay Resort
Paya Bay Resort
416 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
seattle
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan Accomodations

AJY,

We went to Roatan with pretty much the same agenda as you. First week we did some snokeling, diving and sightseeing on the north/west end of the island, and spent the second week at Royal Playa. Can't vouch for Reef House, or Cocoview, but I can highly recomend Royal Playa. Matt and Corinne are great hosts, great food, and you'll feel like family while there. The resort itself is in a beautiful and secluded location, and the diving is pristine.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roatan Accomodations

I hope I don't get blasted for saying this, but we went by Paya Bay, and I thought the place really was dumpy and worn down. I don't consider plastic chairs in the dining room and plywood doors in the bathroom stalls "nice accomodations". I hear the owners are nice and people enjoy staying there, but after seeing it in person, I thought, WOW, I would have been upset if I had booked here sight unseen! (Had seriously considered it based on their website.) I would pick Turquoise Bay over the two. Paya Bay is REALLY off the beaten path-another reason I would have been dissapointed if I had stayed there. If you do stay there, make sure you have a car!

Look at Barefoot Cay's website. We enjoyed it there. Good snorkeling right from the resort from the dock in the lagoon behind the reef. 2 minute walk from your room.

Reef House gets great feedback from divers!

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roatan Accomodations

Have you looked into Anthony's Key Resort. Our "cabin " was nearly overhanging the water, on their small private island. The dive boats were very well staffed and maintained.Snorkeling or shore dives included. With meals. Drinks extra. Happy Hour every other day type of thing. No shopping. A very nice vacation spot. It's the most beautiful spot to have breakfast, overlooking the smal harbor and hillside, before the walk down the stairs to the dive boats.

You have got to do the Canopy/Zip line. Do not go when cruise ships are in tho. We went there with a small group at a quiet time. It was of the best thrills for the money. A bit of exercise, but not too much...Great playtime.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roatan Accomodations

We stayed at Reef House in march. For the diving, we only saw other divers once, and thats when we went west towards French Harbour, and from what I've read Royal Playa should give you a similar experience.

At Reef house, all we did was dive, read a little, have a drink in the evening and relax. To me that was nice.

Mentioned in this post
French Harbour
French Harbour
Roatan, Honduras
5. Re: Roatan Accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 03:18