We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
gainesville, fl
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

Suggestions for best places to stay in San Pedro Sula (quick one night there and out), then in La Ceiba (for 1 or 2 nights), and then Roatan (2 nights). Also, suggestions for best dive shops while on Roatan (primarily for snorkeling although my daughter would like to do some scuba diving one day (she's inexperienced 23 y/o). Also, best recommendations for transportation from San Pedro to Ceiba and Roatan and return. Prefer not to fly or rent my own vehicle. Thanks.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

Cant help much with Mainland stuff, Maybe some here can or with your other post in Honduras.

Best of everything? Best is a relative term. Where are you staying on Roatan? That is pretty important for any dive shop reccomendations. Best transportation? I like flying the best but you dont want to fly so you will need the ferry and a taxi or bus ride from San Pedro to Ceiba

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

Go Gators. Gator alumni here, living in san pedro sula.

You can take the Hedman Alas bus.. its a nice private bus service from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba.

Transportation from La Ceiba to Roatan can be on the Galaxy Ferry service.

Let me know if you have any other questions..

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

http://www.hedmanalas.com/

There is also a small office at the San Pedro Sula airport...probably can get more information there..

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

In San Pedro ~ Microtel, Hilton Princes, InterContinental, Holiday Inn, ~ my favorite is Copontl. In Ceiba: Quinta Real.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

My husband and I stay in Ceiba for a few nights every year on our way in and out of our mission trip in La Mosquitia and have always stayed at the Gran Hotel Paris. It is not fancy and is rather dated, but we've always felt safe and comfortable there and the price is reasonable. There is a pleasant little courtyard with a pool and bar, we've only eaten breakfast at the restaurant, but it was good and everything I've seen come by me from the kitchen looked and smelled good.

It is located right on the central square of downtown with a number of restaurants within walking distance and a grocery store around the corner (although it is, unfortunately, owned by Wal-Mart now is not nearly so laid back as it was in past years). There are also open air markets just a couple blocks away that are more interesting.

There are fancier places to stay in Ceiba, but somehow, to me, fancy and Ceiba just don't go together. What I love about the city is its (for lack of a better way of putting it) gritty authenticity. I love Roatan, but I also love how non-touristy Ceiba is by comparison. If you decide you're going to stay there a couple of nights, post again and you'll get some suggestions on restaurants and things to do there.

P.S. - Two other hints... First, I think you are wise not to rent your own car, the traffic is um, shall we say, unique in Ceiba. The other hint is that if you don't have problems with motion sickness, the ferry from Ceiba to Roatan is a much cheaper and more relaxing way to get to the island than flying, IMHO.

Pataskala, Ohio
Level Contributor
166 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

For Roatan I would suggest Seagrape plantation in West End. If you fly they can pick you up at the airport. They have a dive shop on premise. They are really great for beginners on up. However the best snorkeling that I have seen is off of West Bay beach. You can take a taxi ride or the water taxi to do this. They have a nice web site.

I know that there is a ferry that runs between the mainland and Roatan. Unfortunately I don't know much more about it.

new york city
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

I'm far from an expert but recently returned and I suggest you go fly direct from S. Pedro Sula to Roatan. The bus to La Ceiba is fine but it takes time since you must go from the airport to the bus terminal then on to La Ceiba;then a taxi to the hotel. Combine those expenses with the hotel and compare the total to air fare. La Ceiba seems to work as a base for exploring that region but you need time to do that and a day or two,assuming the weather is good, may not be enough A private taxi will cost about $100 and if you're more than one travelor that might be your best bet from SAP to La Ceiba.The one thing I learned is that a lot of time can be wasted on bus travel due to schedules and transfers and road delays. The bridge to La Ceiba is now under construction.

The flight from La Ceiba to Roatan is quick, about 15 minutes and not too costly. The ferry can be cancelled due to ocean conditions as it was when I was there.

Gran Hotel Paris is fine/convenient but not excellent. It can be noisy at times when the kids are active in the halls and pools.

Level Contributor
438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

what would be the flight connection into roatan from san pedro. Spirit air out of lauderdale has RT into san pedro at $340 about gets in at 12 midnight.

my wife and I I woudl assume catch the first early morning flgiht over to roatan with who and about how much..?

appreciate it. we just want to stay in town inexpensive place i dive she does not>

thanks. we have been to other dive destinations so this is nothing new to us. Cozumel belize truks caicos etc bonaire

Pataskala, Ohio
Level Contributor
166 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

Is there a reason you want to got to San Pedro Sula? There are many flights that are just into Roatan on several airlines. I also have talked to quite a few people that say that luggage that goes into Honduras may not actually come out of the mainland Honduras with you. We have just tried to avoid flying into the mainland for just that reason.

10. Re: Suggestions for Honduras, Please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 14:19