We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foods not to eat?

east windsor,ct
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
foods not to eat?

Leaving Sat. for first time in Roatan.The last 2 islands we went to food caution was not a concern.We like salads and friut besides fish or beef.We always buy bottled water. But are salads and friut OK. We don't want to get sick.

Thanks JOE

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: foods not to eat?

Just returned from Roatan on Saturday. What a great time; I haven't gotten around to posting a trip report yet, but it will be coming. For water, absolutely drink only bottled or filtered water. Our hotel had one of those big office type water jugs that they changed out for us every couple of days when we ran out, which was great. We bought a couple bottles of water, and then refilled the bottles at the hotel when we were going to be out and about. This was nice, because water costs roughly the same as a beer. It looked to me like the locals also use bottled water for drinking.

I was also nervous about the salad and fruit thing, but had no problems. We found that in West End restaraunts, the vegetables and fruits were cleaned with purified water; we witnessed this at a couple of different places, and then extrapolated from there. Of course, there are no guarantees, and the safest bet is to pass on the salad altogether, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. For fruit, just make sure it's peeled or peel it yourself.

My wife and I, along with the couple we were traveling with did get sick early on in our trip. We hadn't eaten anything uncooked at that point, so it was difficult to pin-point what it was exactly; it just comes with the territory I think. I wasn't too bad, but my wife was pretty bad. I always travel with a kit of anti diarheal medicines, as well as filled prescription of Cypro. I wouldn't leave home without it. The Cypro knocked my wife's sickness out within a couple doses, and she was feeling about 90% by dinner that evening and was completely better by the following morning. The other couple did not take anything, and it lingered throughout the trip, but they still managed, first day was the worst of it.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: foods not to eat?

We got back on Friday night and had absolutely no problems at all. We drank bottled water but that was probably the only precaution we took. We definitely ate the salads and fruit. Fortunately we never needed the Cipro that we took!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: foods not to eat?

We were there last month. No problems. We were actually suprised at how good the salads were. There is a local farm which grows produce. The salads at Bite On The Beach were excellent. We ate bananas w/ no problem. A couple of places had large bunches hanging up and you just helped yourself. We also had fish and lobster just about every meal with no problems. Also enjoyed the large cooler of bottled water in the room and refilled water bottles often. I guess the ice is ok since we never had any issues anywhere on the trip!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: foods not to eat?

I have lived on Roatan for 5 years and would occasionally get an intestinal thing going until I started washing everything in dish detergent and bleach, and that is everything (except Blue Harbors produce) ~ even things to be peeled (because the knife goes through the skin into the meat and carries the insecticides and bugs and larve with it). Since I started doing that I have not had any problems.

One also needs to be leary of fresh fruit juices and tea made on sight ~ and lobster and shrimp need to be absolutely cooked through. Things made with mayonaise and left setting out are a concern, as well.

Forked River, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: foods not to eat?

Just came across this post - I was in roatan in april - and came home pretty sick. intestinal parasite. while i didn't drink tap water, and was told the ice was safely made with bottled water. I didn't eat any salads, I had one piece of fruit, now that i think of it - a slice of cantelope. two bites,and i put it down. i ate lots of lobster and shrimp. beef, chicken..... so i don't know where i picked it up from. (thought the best possibility was the hole in the wall..very dirty place) I started with a double dose of cipro for five days..still having pains and fatigue, and numerous other symptoms..so on friday will be starting another medication as well.- the pending test results will determine what and how much/long.

I wish I saw some posts about this before my trip - would have brought the cipro with me... but i was naive to this. i was more concerned with mosquitos - which never had a problem with.

east windsor,ct
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: foods not to eat?

I haven't had a chance to do a trip report but our vacation was better than expectations.

As far as foods my wife and I had salads on a daily basis and ate fruit (which we peeled) and never had a problem.Food was great and very resonable.

We met a couple and he had a problem,we gave him chocoal tablets and in 24 hours he was fine.He thought he picked it up at Hole in the Wall.

JOE

Forked River, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: foods not to eat?

yeah, you just never know - we were a pary of nine, and only a few of us had a problem.. i wish i knew enough to bring something with me....

The food we ate was always very good, and seemed very fresh. I can't say a bad thing about our trip. i absolutely loved it and would go back again. Even at HITW, the food was good. I have heard from others that they thought they were sickened by the food from there as well.

IT's just hit or miss.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: foods not to eat?

Jobosum,

Sorry you had this experience. If you had looked thru the archives or searched there are posts on this type of thing but unless someone posts recently it will not pop up on the front pages, Chek this thread for instance. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k501…

And while I am not a Dr. and do not give any medical advice it seems strange you would be taking an antibiotic for a parasite issue. Are you sure it is parasite?

Forked River, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: foods not to eat?

as usual blue, you are absolutely right! below is an excerpt from the link you suggested...

"1. One of the larger problems is food. It is readily available and inexpensive which is good. I did not talk with anyone that did not suffer from a food or water related problem. Because we travel frequently we have learned what we need to do to avoid having problems. Drink only bottled water, brush your teeth with bottled water, be cautious of fresh fruit and vegetables, etc. These precautions have served us well in the past and we have generally been able to avoid any problems. Not so on Roatan.

If you do a little research you will find that TD (travelers diarrhea) generally comes from exposure to bacteria. The problem starts with water and ends with food prep & handling. The problem is prevalent on the island. In many travel destinations, restaurants that have problems are avoided by tourists and eventually close. That does not appear to be the case on Roatan. We ate at a few restaurants that had good food and did not cause us problems so some establishments do take it seriously. People that ignore the problem and act like it does not exist are the most dangerous. This problem will have to solved before Roatan can make it as a tourist destination. Come prepared with Imodium and consider a preventative antibiotic regimen. Talk to your doctor before you travel."

this dates back to March 2006. This just goes to show that even with some precautions - I did not drink tap water, or brush my teeth with it, I did not eat fresh veggies, or fruit (except for one piece of cantelope) - i still had a problem.

Because of my LACK of researching this, I just wanted others to be aware of it.

I have read posts here where people have taken prescriptions of cipro with them and upon first signs of bowel problems, have taken it right away and were fine in a few days.

Here is a good link for those to read about TD

cdc.gov/ncidod/…travelersdiarrhea_g.htm

"...enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC). ETEC produce watery diarrhea with associated cramps and low-grade or no fever. Besides ETEC and other bacterial pathogens, a variety of viral and parasitic enteric pathogens also are potential causative agents.

Commonly prescribed regimens are 500 mg of ciprofloxacin twice a day or 400 mg of norfloxacin twice a day for 3-5 days. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole and doxycycline are no longer recommended because of the high level of resistance to these agents. Bismuth subsalicylate also may be used as treatment: 1 fluid ounce or 2 262 mg tablets every 30 minutes for up to eight doses in a 24-hour period, which can be repeated on a second day. If diarrhea persists despite therapy, travelers should be evaluated by a doctor and treated for possible parasitic infection. "

Which is why I am taking cipro, awaiting test results to determine which course of treatment to treat parasite infection....

Thanks for the info Blue.. BTW, saw your place while we were there...looks beautiful.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: foods not to eat?

Hopefully you will get this worked out, I just found it strange to try to use an antibiotic, which is generally for bacterial issues and not parasitic but I guess the Dr. knows best.

Get better soon. The Island remedy for many of these sickness's is juice three limes and mix with i teaspoon of salt and drink. By no means am I promoting this but I have tried it and maybe its a placebo thing but seems to work.