We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Roatan

FLORIDA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit Roatan

We would like to know when the weather is most likely NOT to be very hot and humid. We live in South FL and get enough of that here. If we go during the dry season, are we less likely to be bothered by noseeums and mosquitoes? We get plenty of those here too, thank you. -Mary

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Roatan

Mary,

Think of Roatan somewhat as South Florida only warmer. There is almost always high humidity and the dry season simply means no rain, humidity is still high. It is the tropics afterall. Depending on where you stay the bugs may be fewer during the dry times but even then they are around. You mention you have your bugs in South Florida, well just figure, Roatan cools off even less and has consistantly more humidity so I am sure from that you can imagine the situation to some degree.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Roatan

Having just returned from Roatan, we learned from the locals that the perfect time to go to Roatan is in March and April. May through July is considered their hot season. August begins the rainy and hurricane season. We hit a rainy time for us last week, but it was still enjoyable. I dove while my wife laid on the beach and read a book. Bugs were too bad, but plan on mosquitoes and sand flies, it's just the nature of the tropical climate. We are planning a return trip in March and April. It is a gorgeous place.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Roatan

I agree with the previous post and would add that Feb can also be a great time but sometimes the rainy season will run a little late. March/April is just after the rains, it is not as hot as summer but can still be very hot and humid, and all the vegetation is thick and green.

Just make sure not to plan on going Easter Week/ Semana Santa unless you are wanting to be there for Roatan's busiest week of the year and if youwant to go then make sure to book early.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Roatan

I've gone to Roatan twice as the high season ended at the end of April. Lovely weather for the most part, except on some days smoke drifts over from the mainland as they're burning the cane fields. Last year was especially bad for a few days. Sure wish they would put that off until after I'm gone. Aside from the smoke there were few clouds and the sea on the north side was flat calm. It was hot in the sun but not oppressively so. If you're hot just jump in the water. Bugs seemed to be a problem only in the evening.

FLORIDA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Roatan

Thank you everyone for your responses. They are very helpful, especially since our window for the trip is March to mid-April.

We are looking to rent a house in a fairly secluded area, but with easy access to good snorkeling places (we will be renting a car). The website I checked has rentals in 18 different neighborhoods, but I don't know how to figure out which ones are quiet and which are in the busy areas.

I realize this should be a new topic, but you guys have already been so helpful I thought I'd push my luck.

Thank you again. - Mary

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,299 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Roatan

Try Sandy Bay - very central to the island and great homes to rent

7. Re: Best time to visit Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Roatan