We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental

Johnston, Iowa
Level Contributor
22 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Rental

I'm looking for a vacation rental, two bedroom with kitchen right on a swimmable, sandy beach. Not too secluded but not in the thick of the action. Is Sandy Bay the best bet here? Is Tabayana Beach really busy? Is it important for the properties to have back up generators? Are the sand flies worse in some areas of the island than others? I've looked at all the websites suggested but didn't know if anyone had specific information on a property or had stayed at a great spot. It's hard to decide just with the pictures they provide. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Bay
Sandy Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental

Sandy Bay is great and not busy at all but the beach is more coarse than the fine sand at West bay. Small places will not likely have a generator but they should state that on their web site

Likely you will need to rent a car for shopping but Roatankent did mention the cab fares are cheap so look at the Sandy Bay ? thread

Sand fleas. Locals tell me they are bad in the morning and the evening. There are the little no-see-ums that can get you at any time

West Bay sprays the beach for the sand fleas

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Bay
Sandy Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental

i recommend you find a place with a backup generator for sure...

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rental

I would not be overly concerned with a generator. Things have gotten mcuh better here on Roatan.Over the last 3 weeks I have only lost power once during the day and that was while they replaced a transformer just down the road. There have been a couple of scheduled outages at night but nothing to cause any issues, my freezer never thawed a bit. The new Power Company management has really gotten a handle on the reliability issue, the pricing is still yey to bee seen but that has little to do with short vacation rentals. The only reason my generator has started recently was to cycle the fuel.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rental

I stayed at Spooky Channel Villa in Sandy Bay and thought it was just wonderful. The beach is not the same as West Bay; there is eel grass/turtle grass at the edge, so wading in is not ideal. However there is a private dock you can walk down and jump off into clear beautiful warm water. This is at Spooky Channel so great snorkeling available right off your dock! We laid out on the dock a couple times with cocktails and it made for a fantastic day. BIBR is right there so if you do not feel like cooking, you are very welcome to just pop over and have breakfast/lunch/dinner/cocktails with them. They have a dive shop too. The villa is two master suites with living room and kitchen. The veranda is sizable and there is a small dipping pool. I also believe there was a generator as well, but we never had any power outages. The care takers live next door, so any issues are easily addressed, although we had none. It is a quiet area, read my post about our stay; it is one of the first forum posts I ever made, go to my profile and scroll down to the bottom. Here is the vrbo.com link...

http://www.vrbo.com/113673

Fantastic place! Have Fun!

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Bay
Sandy Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rental

I would like to ask 1FourFun about his Spooky Channel Villa review. I looked for it in your profile but I didn't see it listed. I'm new to this site so maybe I was in the wrong place. I like what you said so far. We are planning to stay there and I am the type that wamts to learn every thing I can. Thank you.

6. Re: Vacation Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 07:23