We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local ingredients for homemade meals

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Local ingredients for homemade meals

Hi everyone,

We'll be in Roatan for a week, and will be preparing many of our own meals. Can anyone give me a sense of what we can find that's local and fresh? In particular, we'd like to know what kinds of vegetables, fruits, fish/meats and herbs we'll be able to find.

Also, any tips on where to get fresh items would be great. We'll be staying in West Bay, but will stop at a market on our way in from the airport. Thereafter, we don't really know where to go.

Lastly, any simple recipes you'd recommend?

Thanks so much,

Temple

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

You will find almost nothing that is actually local unless it is in season fruit, that will depend on when your visiting. Most fruits and veggies come from the mainland or Guatemala and are shipped to Roatan. Some actually go to Miami before getting to the Island depending on where you shop.

You can get good veggies and fruits off the trucks around the island. Carrots, Onions, potatoes, chaoytes, cabbage and lettuce are pretty regular as are oranges, pineapples, bananas and plantains. Depending on where you stay you may find an abundance of bananas and plantains as they do grow local. They are most often boiled green and used somewhat as a potato. Sometimes the grocery stores also have good fruits and veggies but it is luck of the draw and depends when your shopping compared to when they got their last shipment. A couple weeks ago we actually bought cauliflower that was white and didn't need the outer layer scraped off and good mushrooms.

You will probably be disapointed in the meats along with the high cost of meat of any quality. Fish and chicken is more common. Some vendors sell fish from coolers but if you or someone you know is not familiar with them then just beware as it may be older than expected. The Flying fish in Coxen Hole sells good fish at reasonable prices and frozen chickens are available just about everywhere.

An easy place to shop on your way to West Bay is Plaza Mar. It is a big orange and blue cement building up on the hill just past Bojangles chicken and the gas station. They have pretty much all the basics needed to get started and the parking is easy.

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

Bluehouseguy,

Thank you so much for the detailed message. It's just the kind of info I was hoping for.

Thanks again,

Temple

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

Hi,

Our favorite thing we found there was the refried red beans in the bags. They are so tasty! I have tried every red bean here at home, but none even come close. Wish I knew how they prepared them. They are awesome as a side, or with chips & cheese. Yum!

cheers

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

The refried beans in bags sound perfect for us. We'll definitely give them a try. Where did you buy them?

Thanks,

Temple

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

They were everywhere. Eldon's, Plaza Mar, even little stores in West end. We couldn't live without them.. Eldons & Plaza Mar had a pretty large display that you couldn't miss. They are so addicting!

They are in a bag with dark red beans showing? Hard to explain. You have to try them though.

I promise, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

OMG... My husband just found them on the internet. Here is a link

emergingmarkets-us.com/Honduras-Natura_s_Fri…

Cheers!

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

I think we will see about bringing a case home this next trip in May/June!

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

Our favorite thing we made.. nachos, with the red beans & canned peppers Awesome..

Recipes- don't do alot of cooking there. I cook here at home everyday, SO that is my time off.;)

Last time we got fish at flying fish (frozen so we could have it when we wanted) in Coxen Hole & also shrimp from a roadside seller right by there. great price & all were excellent.

9. Re: Local ingredients for homemade meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Roatan