We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bananarama recently?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bananarama recently?

We are planning our first trip to Roatan for a week in early May and have tentatively decided on Bananarama for our accomodations. Has anyone stayed there recently?

I am especially interested in the beachside rooms. They are having a good special on our dates, but I have read that they get the most noise from the generator. The electricity situation seems to have improved a lot in the last few months, so is that still a concern?

I have also read that there was a bad smell there at one time. Has that been taken care of?

Anything else that anyone could contribute would be helpful. We don't need a fancy place, just clean with A/C and the basics.

Thanks, Linda

london
Level Contributor
237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bananarama recently?

West Bay is not what it used o be, but you are on the sand. What are you looking for? Resort? Cabins? Try Cabanalana. But recently, the new owners of Bananarama has bought out 3 or 4 hotels right there in West Bay. Check out the other ones they own. You might want to drop a line to copanconnections@gmail.com. They keep on top of what's hip...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bananarama recently?

We were there in May last year and I can say there was no problem whatsoever with a bad smell. We loved Bananarama, the location is excellent, well run, great food etc. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else on the beach.

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bananarama recently?

Hi,

Can't go wrong with Bananarama. The owners are the most wonderful people.

Cabanalana? maybe you mean CabanaRoatana, which has been owned by Bananarama for a few years. They are the beach units in front of the original Bananarama.

They also now own Island Pearl (right next too Bananarama). A little more $$ but awesome! You can't miss their Vintage Pearl Restaurant, really nice!~

Their generator is really not that noisy. I honestly could sleep better with that than the rain. ;)

With the "beachside" room, have you seen the pics & layout? The restaurant, bar, etc. are in the front. just an FYI. We really enjoyed the garden cabana's.

It is a Fabulous place, ran by great people, employee's are awesome, you will have an excellent time..

May 30th! for us , can't wait!

Cheers,

Jill

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bananarama recently?

Cabana lana is down towards Fosters. Google it. Has a/c and views would be incredible. I thought it looked very nice from the outside. Would appeal to me more than Bananarama.

central fla.
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bananarama recently?

Linda..... I second the suggestion about Island Pearl. We stayed there last May and had a great time. If you have 2 couples, the units are equipped with full kitchen and 2 bedrooms. Share the cost and get more bang for your buck. The owners are wonderful. And smack dab in the center of WB. Read the reviews.

Chicago
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bananarama recently?

I am going the first week in March (staying at both Island Pearl and Bananarama). I'll post a review as soon as I get back.

Houston
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bananarama recently?

Thanks for the responses.

Soggy - I realize that the beachside rooms are not beachfront, but are the garden suites much different? The special that they are running in early May makes them less expensive than the garden suites and includes transporation to/from the airport. Just wondering if spending a little more for the garden suite is worth it.

There are only the two of us going, so Island Pearl is out of our price range.

Boring, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bananarama recently?

MsPlanner,

You get a better deal on the Beachside? Maybe you could email & ask if you could trade for garden? Don't know, just a thought..I myself would rather have the garden. They are private & nice, hummingbirds & foliage. The beach units are looking at the restaurant, bar, & seating area before the beach. The other units are much more private. Depends on what you want.

You will love it, say Hi to Sabino in the bar for me, & Carolina in the restaurant. She is one awesome Lady! I miss her!

Last thought... Don't have high expectations of the island & you won't be disappointed....my Husband tells me that every time we go somewhere new.

Also, Owners are great peeps.

Cheers!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bananarama recently?

I am not sure but I heard Bananarama is for sale.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bananarama recently?

Hi MsPlanner,

We just returned from our third trip to Roatan and out third time staying at Bananarama. We did not hear the generator start up once the whole week we were there.

As far as the smell is concerned, I did not notice any foul smell on the property.

Bananarama is a fantastic value for the dollar. The only thing I want to add is people need to realize this is more of a rustic resort and should not expect the rooms to compare to that of the Hilton. If you go there with this in mind, you will have a great time. We also tried the Vintage Pearl reataurant for the first time. It is a little more on the pricey side but the food is excellent and is something you should try at least once.

Great food, great staff (Including the dive team), and excellent owners who always want to make sure you are having an enjoyable stay.

Dean

Get answers to your questions about Roatan