We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anthony's Key Dolphins

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Anthony's Key Dolphins

We are returning for a second trip to Roatan March 21-28. My son and I will be doing alot of diving but we are bringing my mom this time (non diver) and on our last day (when we can no longer dive) we are going to rent a car and take her around to see the sights (iguanas, etc). One thing we are considering doing as a multi-generational experience is snorkeling/dolphin activity at Anthony's Key. It would probably work for all three of us since she snorkels but doesn't dive. I want to make sure it's worth the money to do before we book it since we pay a premium for not staying at the resort (we are staying at Barefoot Cay). Anyone done this activity??

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anthony's Key Dolphins

TXT,

I have not done these tours and shy away from the tourist stuff but over the years of reading these forums it seems to me the snorkel think is they way to go for interactive. I have done decompression and hung on a line and had dolphins investigate but even that was wild atlantic waters. Most at AKR will interact at the surface even more so than at depth from what I am told. Again, I don't do these things but that is what I have heard. While waiting you might find other info if you search the archives. Just type in Dolphin in the search box. Good luck and enjoy your stay

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anthony's Key Dolphins

We did the dolphin encounter (with our kids) and the dolphin snorkeling (without kids) last week. For the encounter, we basically got to pet a dolphin 5 or 6 times as she swam by us very slowly. The trainer also had her do some tricks (for lack of a better word), which were pretty interesting: swimming belly-up really fast, lots of jumps/flips, making noises with her blow-hole, etc.). It was all pretty scripted, but still fun, though I'm not sure if the price was reasonable: $85. Then again, I don't know AKR's costs.

(I was not, btw, annoyed by the price itself, but by how rapidly it's increased over the last 9 months. The encounter was $45 last year, and was listed on AKR's website as $62 the week before we left. High season price hike, I guess. Anyway, enough complaining...)

After the encounter, about 12 of us suited up in our snorkeling gear, and started swimming in the dolphin pen. The dolphins started swimming with us as soon as we hit the deeper water, and it was really fun.

More than once, I found myself face to face with one or two dolphins. At one point, I had two dolphins about six inches from my face. I had read that the dolphins sometimes ignore the snorkelers, but that wasn't our experience at all. They swam up to us and beneath us, and let us stroke them. They seemed curious and sort of amused. If you dive down (about 12 feet?) and play in the sand, they'll come over and play. You do, however, have to seek them out. This isn't too difficult, but requires some effort. After about 20 minutes, I had more trouble finding dolphins, but I don't know if the other participants experienced this. At the time, I felt as if they'd gotten tired of us.

I was struck by how powerful they were, and felt a bit intimidated at times -- mainly because I'm not a strong swimmer and wasn't quite sure how to respond. I wish we'd had more time to acclimate -- 30 minutes was definitely not enough, at least not for the humans.

Just now, I asked my husband what he thought (btw, he only did the snorkel to keep me company), and he said it was "amazing." I think everyone in our group would have said the same.

One last thought: the dolphins seemed really happy together; you could see them playing wildly together, and they seemed healthy and content up close. The trainer mentioned that the trainers never use punishment with the dolphins. If a dolphin is aggressive, they simply swim away from him. I thought this spoke very well of AKR.

FWIW, the snorkel is now $125. Here again, the prices seem to have gone up dramatically, but I'm still glad I did it, and I'd like to do it again when we return.

Hope that answers your question.

Temple

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anthony's Key Dolphins

Thanks for the great input on your experience!

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anthony's Key Dolphins

I thought the Dolphin encounter was a bit cheesy...and overpriced, however it certainly did appeal to our 2 grandchildren ages 6 and 11 and we have taken many adult guests who really enjoyed it.

My husband and I have also done the snorkel with the dolphins and we too thought it was amazing. Just to be swimming with so many of those large creatures and have them bump up against you, was really neat. Also there was a young one nursing it's mother and they were the same size! That was cool to see as I wasn't aware they nursed until they are around the age of 2 years!

5. Re: Anthony's Key Dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Roatan