We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current political situation

Alberta
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Current political situation

We are planning to travel to Roatan in Feb/Mar 2010. With the current political situation, should we be concerned about our safety and travel arrangements?

Arlene

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current political situation

I have followed the political situation for a few months now and to summarize it seems the voters are happy with the party in power, but not the President, Manuel Zelaya, who was exiled in late June. A new election is set for November this year and a new president will be inaugurated in Jan/10.

The chatter on this board seems to indicate the Bay Islands have not been affected very much as most of the demonstrations have been in the major mainland cities primarily the capital Tegucigalpa.

I have no first hand knowledge but the foregoing is a political summary and it wouldn't scare me off from vacationing in Roatan.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current political situation

amnesty international has issued a report concerned about the level of police btutality in Honduras.

Save Reply
3. Re: Current political situation

Hello, we have a small eco fishing and dive resort on Roatan. I will say this, Roatan is quiet and has not had any violence here, we expect none in the coming months. There might be demonstrations in the big cities but for the most part it is all about nothing in Roatan...

midwest USA
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Current political situation

We'll be in Roatan for the first time from January 3-12. The only concern I had was a flight landing on the mainland. If you book directly to Roatan I think you will avoid most difficulties. Once there I plan to be a tourist and mind my own business when it comes to politics unless in a private conversation. From what I understand of the island, you may feel safer staying in the West Bay area. We are staying in a private home but I would think an AI would give you the best sense of security. At this point I don't have any concerns. If the US sticks it's nose where it don't belong I'll wear a maple leaf. Just kidding :)

5. Re: Current political situation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 17:48
Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Current political situation

I put little faith in what most organizations have to say, they all have an agenda. From my personal experience of being on Roatan up until a few weeks ago i can say that it was all business as usual except for slower. Flights and cruise ships arrive as usual, diving is good and people enjoying themselves. Sure, Any political thing could change itineraries so some type of trit insurance may be a good thing if your not flexible but i imagine by your trip next year it will be decided and the fat lady will have sung.

I spoke with my watchman early today who went with his son to La ceiba on the ferry, renewed his passport and then went by bus to San Pedro so his son could get to school in Belize and he reported no trouble at all and he is actually back in Roatan now so it would appear even land transportation through major mainland cities are not all that bothered

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current political situation

My husband and I are leaving in less than 3 weeks - spending 8 days on the island. Our flight does not route through the capital but the San Pedro Sula and expect no problems. We've rented a beachfront apt. in West Bay and never once thought of cancelling.

Roatan in many ways feels "disconnected" from the Mainland - truly it's own little Paradise.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
135 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current political situation

I was in Tegucigalpa two weeks ago and had no problems. Nonetheless, I speak fluent Spanish and pretty much just stayed away from volatile areas (such as government buildings). Roatan is probably another story - no effect there. There was a riot at the University of Honduras while I was there but had no idea until turned on the news. Borders are open and I was able to take TicaBus to Nicaragua with no problem.

Next year as probably another story. Could all be calm by then!

Alberta
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current political situation

Want to thank all of you who answered my email. You are all saying what I was hoping for, and expecting.

We'll watch for changes, but otherwise - here we coming!

Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current political situation

This is the message received today from one of our guests who stayed recently at one of our rental Homes at Vivaproperties, Roatan

I have been away from Roatan for 2 weeks now, and I miss it so much. I cannot thank you enough for your hospitality during our stay there.

It still amazes me that I had any hesitation about traveling to Roatan (thanks to the US media mess)! In all of my travels throughout the Caribbean, I have never felt as safe as I did during my stay on Roatan. The people there are truly kind, and I did not feel any sense of threat related to the current political situation. I am ashamed of myself for even worrying about these things in the first place. I'm trying to find a way of getting the word out that Roatan is indeed a very beautiful, unspoiled, and SAFE island to vacation. I have told all of my friends about my wonderful vacation.

In any case, I will no doubt be returning to your island in the near future, and I look forward to seeing you both again!

Take care!

JoAnn

UNQUOTE