We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

I am totally confused as to whether these 2 airlines are the same or separate. I am looking at flights between San Pedro Sula and Roatan. Both websites have flights at exactly the same time but at different prices and with different baggage limitations. The baggage limitation issue is of real concern as we'll have 2 pieces of checked luggage each (which is okay with TACA but not TACA Regional). I would really appreciate it if someone could explain the difference to me.

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

As far as I know, Taca.com is a bigger airline servicing a few major NorthAmerican airports to Central America. Toronto, Miami, La, to Central Ameriaca. Bigger airline =bigger planes =bigger baggage allowance.

Taca Regional is a smaller division of Taca witch only services countries within Central America. Smaller planes = smaller baggage and usually better prices

Correct me if wrong

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

That was my understanding but I am confused about the flights for BOTH airlines arriving and leaving at the exact same times....as if they are the same flights. And if they are the same flights, then one plane is not bigger than the other and thus no larger baggage allowance.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

The difference is, if you are cvomming from elswhere then your allowances, and most often reflect that. If you are flying local then you can get a different pricing but with that you also lose some perks like baggage allowance.

Many will try to get the best fare from elswhere to San Pedro and then book deparate on TACA regional. This is often when luggage becomes an issue as can scheduling. If you book all the way to RTB then luggage stays the same.

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
169 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

I am having the same problem with TACA. I booked us from MIA to SAP. When I went to the regional to book to Roatan, I was rejected - twice. I used different credit cards and no reason was given. It can't be seats because it let me get through the credit card purchase. Now I am stuck in San Pedro

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

Back in the day.... when the only way to get to the island was through San Pedro...one could not buy a ticket to Roatan until they were in San Pedro. I wonder if this is still the case.

It was a little unnerving being we, in the north, are spoiled. I was assured if I landed in San Pedro before 1pm, getting out would be a breeze, it was not but I did get to Roatan that afternoon.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

Its the same parent company... but registered as two seperate companies... TACA flies international while Taca Regional operates the domestic in'country flights in each country.

If your flight goes through San Pedro Sula... then TACA actually moves the passengers on a TACA regional plane ' ATR'72.

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
169 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

This all happened this week with TACA and/or TACA Regional. I tried to buy San Pedro to Roatan online through Regional. My credit cards (plural) were supposedly denied. I tried the next day and the flight was booked so I called them. The $350 or so tickets from the night before for 2 were available through the call center (for a $39 fee) and tickets were $313 EACH. I told him the price from online and he said, "take it or leave it" I got online later and got the SAME tickets through TACA - not regional, for $577 for 2. So within 24 hours I got prices from $187 for my 'senior' husband to $313 for the same exact seats and flight.

Doing it all over - I'd choose someone else.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

Don't ya love the inconsistencies of third world countries!

One year when I was flying out of Roatan I was on TACA, I don't fly well and asked the lady to put me as close to the front of the plane as possible...I ended up in 1st class..

I love the wacky that can happen outside of my county...it is the reason I travel.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

If I remember properly, the Peruvian airline LAN has different websites, so gringos go to Lan.com and get one set of prices while South Americans use a different website and get cheaper rates...

kind of a formalization of the two-tiered tourist/local price scale seen in many locales. I wonder if CA residents know how to get into TACA Regional - or if it is just one of those delightful inefficiencies.

For a precisely opposite experience, go to Germany. I once witnessed an angry bus driver stop the bus and angily confront an Asian tourist who was making too much noise with a ratcheting armrest. The driver adjusted the armrest and then pantomimed that the rider would not, under any circumstances, adjust it ever again. That bus left on time!

(and before anybody gets their nose out of joint, I gladly pay the tourist rate... my contribution as a have to a have-not culture...)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TACA and TACA Regional - what is the difference?

Eholbik,

Thank you. That answers my question.