We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

My trip to Roatan is in three weeks.

I will be taking a 6AM bus (Hedman Alas bus) from San Pedro to La Ceiba. Hedman Alas bus says it is a 3 hour trip, which should place me in La Ceiba at 9AM.

The ferry to Roatan, from La Ceiba leaves at 9:30AM. If I miss that ferry, I'll have to wait til 4:30PM for the next ferry.

Does anyone have experience with this ferry? Assuming my bus is on time, and I do arrive at La Ceiba at 9AM, is 30 minutes enough time to board the ferry?

Also what about this bus? Does it usually run on schedule?

Thanks everyone!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

this question is asked and discussed frequently on the Honduras Thorntree /Lonely Planet forum.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

A search of the ferry schedule will also find quite a few replies here

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

Thank you so much idiotsabroad, that thorntree forum has a lot of information on the local transportation!! Thanks for helping!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

You are welcome!

I use TripAdvisor religiously and direct other folks here - so I feel no disloyalty in directing folks to Thorntree as a valuable additional resource. They tend to get more budget/backpacker types on that site, so they overlap with TA but tend toward a little different kind of info. Using the two together we have planned successful trips to many, many locations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

Make sure you realize that you have to take a taxi to the ferry from the bus terminal too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

I saw the pictures you took, they were excellent. Makes me want to ask you what hotel you stay at, where did you go were you took pics. what other activities did you experience.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

30 minutes will be tight, even assuming your bus is on time, and you jump in a taxi right away. It is quite a long drive and you still have to buy your ticket.

Go for it, but be prepared if you miss the ferry you have to hang out there in the middle of nowhere all day or get a taxi back to the city and back to the ferry later.

I heard about new airline 'CM' which does direct flights from SPS, maybe look into that as an option? I don't think it is much more expensive than the bus/taxi/ferry option and saves you a load of time

The CM contact info is

Info@CMAirlines.com

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

Hello Everyone, Just to update my status, I had a private driver. I will say this: I was very very happy that I did not take a bus.

The road from Roatan to La Ceiba is a very-very-very winding road. Most of the road is one lane each way. I think what makes things worse is the constant passing of cars. The car behind you thinks you're going to slow, so he'll pass you up by cutting into the incoming lane. Drivers are inpatient and fast! Don't think its just cars passing/cutting, it's 18-Wheelers too. I lost track of how many accidents almost happened, just on the way there. One more note, if you get caught driving at night on that winding curvy road, there are barely any street lights.

I'm glad I had a personal driver as opposed to being on a big bus.

9. Re: Bus to La Ceiba, Ferry to Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 07:15