We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itchy little red blisters

Ontario
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itchy little red blisters

We just returned from Roatan and are developing itchy red spots that blister- any ideas what is the cause or how to treat them

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itchy little red blisters

owhhh itchy and blister i would think is reaction to sun or something you ate mosquito bites get raised and red but i would not think they would blister unless you scratched the tops off and they are infected try benadryl or an allergy fast acting capsule by mouth do not apply cream to the area let it dry out and try not to scratch dont leave it more than 24 hours if it swells or is increasing go to emerg especially if you get a fever with it

good luck

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itchy little red blisters

I am not sure but in florida last year the same thing happen to us.

They could be little bug bites, noseeums ya know. Aloe worked for us but any kind of ointment should take care of it. maybe caloe.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itchy little red blisters

My guess is its a reaction to the sand flies/ no seeums. Some people get reliefe from antihistamines, maybe ask the pharmacist

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itchy little red blisters

Just asked my wife she says zinc cream or diaper rash creme will get rid of ANY rash FAST!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itchy little red blisters

Another possibility are "sea lice." Not really lice, but the teeny and basically invisible in the water, larvae of jellyfish, they can get into the folds of the body or under the bathing suit. They contain the same nasty little stinging cells of their larger parents. Divers in Roatan two weeks ago told me they encountered schools of thimble jellyfish, which are the most commonly reported source of "sea lice" in the Caribbean.

These little buggers can cause a rash and smallish blisters. Google them for more info... Seems that calamine lotion is most commonly recommended.

Two weeks ago I was told by another snorkeler at Half Moon Bay that she had encountered them and encouraged me to do a good job of showering immediately when leaving the water. My wife developed a mild rash underneath her swimsuit line across her back, a place usually protected by the suit, but it was mild and hydrocortisone relieved the aggravation. There were certainly lots of jellyfish around...

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itchy little red blisters

I'm also thinking sea lice. Usually takes a couple/few days for the symptoms to show. Idiots advice is very good re: showering in fresh water asap especially where the swimsuit has covered.....for me the oral benadryl coupled with the topical spray benadryl seems to be the quickest relief! The good news is it will go away on it's own. First time I ever had it i went to a Dr thinking it was an allergy...they seem to appear for a few weeks and then go away. Whether on a current or maturing I never could find info on. No see um bites show up on me the same day/night they bite, unlike the sea lice.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itchy little red blisters

Yep, Sea Lice/ juvenile Jellies COULD also be the culprit. I am seldom in the water without at least some exposure protection to protect from sun and or critters so I never thought of them. I would monitor closely and seek the opinion of someone who can see the problem rather than get too much off the internet as some cures for a rash could be the wrong thing for an insect or other sting.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itchy little red blisters

I am thinking scabies (la sarna in Spanish) for which the OTC medecine available is Scabisan, Elimite, permethrin (permetrina in Spanish), Kwellada, Nix. They are all pretty much the same thing.

If it is scabies, the blisters itch more at night, often but not always are around the waist, tummy, buttocks, thighs, sometimes in folds of the body. I have had this three times now, caught in 3 different countries. Apparently, it is the most contagious itch around, what itches are the eggs laid under the skin by microscopic mites (ácaro in Spanish). Be sure to follow the instructions on the medicine.

Buena suerte,

Melita

Gatineau, Quebec

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itchy little red blisters

I'm a fair skinned red head and I get a reaction to some kind of bug bite, not sure which one because some turn to really big watery blisters that itch like crazy and weep, others are just little tiny red itchy spots. I am convinced the bad bites are due in part by the sun intensity and my fair skin some one once told me the big marks are from chiggers, who knows.

Nevertheless, my regime consists of Bug Spray to avoid getting bites and it I do, then I switch between anti itch cream and diaper cream and it helps to dry them up with rubbing alchol. To stop the itching - nondrowsy antihisamine during the day if needed and Benedryl tablets at night so I don't scratch in my sleep. Bugs or no bugs, I love it there

Ontario
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itchy little red blisters

I think "sea lice" were the culprits by the signs and symptoms and I thank all of you for your responses. It was a very annoying condition while it lasted.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan