We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

Returning to Roatan for our 3rd trip Feb to March 2011 and although we have grocery shopped at Both Eldons and Plaza Del Mar, I can't remember if I saw like a cheap BBQ? Anyone know if you can buy one and what it would cost there? We will be staying at a place that does not have one so looking to grab one for our 3 week stay.

Thanks

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

As soon as you arrive just ask the caretaker about it. Most likely you can get some metal grate/expanded steel and some concrete block and be all set

Believe me, i wish it were as easy as North America but my silly grill that is $88 at home depot cost me twice that on Roatan. We have since built our own.

Don't go crazy with charcoal, depending on where you stay you can get good hardwood for cooking for close to nothing. Sea Grape is great for bbq

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

Thanks again Blue House Guy...you have helped on MORE than one occassion. Yea, I'm going to ask the owners if they can do something again, closer to the time. When I asked if they had one, they just said "no, the didn't have one available". So, just checking out options.

Cheers

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

Smarties,

Often he "owners" do not have the info the caretaker/watchie might have. I bet if even a hot dog made it his way the caretaker wold have you a grill

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

we recently took down a huge dead tree and I know the goal of a few friends was to make natural charcoal. let me know how you make out and I can get you in touch. REAL Charcoal. Noy US Briquetts

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

We also use the real wood charcoal for our BBQ and our anafres. Bought it in one of the stores but can't remember which one....problem is it came in a huge sack. But it is much nicer to use than the OTHER charcoal.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

Well, must not put the cart before the horse. gotta see if we can get the BBQ first. Last year I BBQ's some awesome fish and prawns...was soooo good. I'm sure we will be able to work something out with the property managers there. Thanks to everyone!

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

Smarties,

My point was, you will not find the 15-20 dollar walmart grills around. Well, Actually you might but they will then be 40-50 dollar grills. Where as you can pretty much just ask around for a grate, expanded steel, etc.., get or buy a few cement blocks, or ask a local caretaker, gardener etc.. for some rocks and be all set.

Edited: 24 June 2010, 01:34
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

Yes thanks...i got that...what I meant was no use trying to get charcole when I haven't arranged for a BBQ (or grate or whatever) to put it in.

Thanks for all your help. can't wait to go back and try this new place.

9. Re: Purchasing a Charcol BBQ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:16