We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snuba

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
173 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Snuba

I did that "stupid tourist thing" snuba last year and loved it.! I used a regulator and mask but have seen pictures of spacey looking helmets which would be great for my sister who must wear her glasses. Where is that type done? And how much please? If I was to decide to move on to a Discover Scuba course, would I need to have a medical form signed by a Dr here before I leave. That would be pricey, or do you just fill the form out yourself? Thanks

connecticut
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snuba

regarding the medical form.... you just fill it out yourself.

Can't help you with the SNUBA though.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snuba

Your sister can get a prescription mask for less then $100.00, usually about $60.00, at www.snorkel-mart.com all she needs is a recent eyeglass prescription.

I am blind as a bat without my glasses. I have always worn contacts when doing any water activities but this time it is the prescription mask all the way. I am also thinking of doing the SNUBA OR finally doing one of my "bucket list" items. Actual trying to dive. I might not make it out of the pool BUT at least I tried ;)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,992 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snuba

The only time I wear contacts is when I'm snorkeling or diving. My eyes are nearly the same so a $35 box of 6 disposable lenses lasts me 2 or 3 trips. I've been surprised how comfortable they are, the perfect solution for me.

Some dive shops take the medical form more seriously than others. If you put health conditions or prescription medicine that sounds scary they might balk (I've seen that happen); I doubt you'll have that problem, though.

My son Isaac and I did a Discover Scuba course on Glover's Atoll (Belize) in 2003. He took to it like a fish but knew he wouldn't have much opportunity in coming years so just did a few add'l dives. I fell in love and decided to apply that start to the Open Water certification course. If you know you're wanting to do the course (or even think you might), consider buying the book ahead and studying so you spend less vacation time reading and studying for tests. It also might put you more at ease if you're a bit nervous - knowledge is power! Happy trails!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snuba

You shouldn't kid yourself about the medical clearance. If you are aware of any limitations, you shouldn't dive. Generally it's a matter of being able to clear your ears, but there are certainly other limitations we cant address, because we (or at least I) are not doctors.

Snuba makes me nervous, speaking as a long-time diver. Much the risk of air embolism of scuba diving but without the training or awareness required for scuba safety. Plus it's way more expensive and it's little more than deep snorkeling. If you want to go deeper than you can when snorkeling, I think you should get certified. All the places in West End (and there are lots) charge the same $280 for the course, plus incidentals.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snuba

That is a very good idea to get the book ahead of time. My DH was certified years ago.

The ONLY thing that scares the death out of me is he said you had to take your mask off during cert. That in of itself would flunk me out of the course.

I have this irrational fear that I have really worked hard on over the years to even put my face in the water. Since I love to snorkel I had to overcome this. However to this day, I still have to take a few minutes each time I get into the water "communing" with the powers that be to put my head in. Once I am in I am perfectly fine! I will snorkel until my body temperature starts to drop an I begin to shiver. I simply love it! SO I know I would love to dive. I just don't know if I will ever be able to pass the "test" if I have to take the mask off.

Another question.....I KNOW we are not DOCTORS, so just asking for basic opinions of divers in general. I have had 5 spinal surgeries. I have a lot of titanium rods & screws throughout my neck and lower back. Other then the initial weight of the tanks on land is there much weight stress on the back while in the water?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snuba

Re: taking your mask off as part of your cert test. If you are under water for 45 minutes or better and your mask is leaking, you have to have confidence that you can get rid of that water. You get comfortable breathing from the mouthpiece and from drawing on the tank for your air source. So you learn to exhale into the mask and the air displaces the water. Simple. This is routinely done when a divemaster wants to test the proficiency of a new diver on their first dive together.

Re: that heavy tank. Yes it is heavy, and then you are trying to walk around on deck in flippers and the deck is rolling. Often people will have the crew just put the vest and tank in the water and then the diver puts the vest on in the water.. Of course once you are in the water, the tank weighs nothing. In fact almost everybody has to wear weights in order to descend, given the buoyancy of your body and especially your wet suit. Even with no air in the vest you would not be able to sink without those extra weights. If your husband is a diver he shoud be able to help reassure you and help you decide if you should dive/

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snuba

Thanks D....Yes HUBBY took his test years ago. He is not the best in way of assuring me. He just keeps saying "all I can tell you is try it". Which drives me NUTS! Clearing the mask of water is not a problem as I do that when I snorkel.

I think I will try it this year. Probably without hubby around. He makes me more nervous for some reason.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,992 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snuba

The hardest part of certification for me was removing my mask underwater, replacing it, and blowing out the water. Adding a little water to clear fog and removing it or removing some water if I get bumped is easy for me, but I still have to talk myself through the whole removal part.

Sometimes my back gets tired in the water; I have to rest a minute with my feet drawn up to my chest and then I'm fine. I haven't had back issues, though, and no one can really tell you how it will be fore you. Just try it! ;-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snuba

I'm really glad to see this post. We were thinking that perhaps we would try it ... the website that advertises it makes it look so easy ... thanks for the valuable input folks!!! We'll strike that off our list!!

Level Contributor
173 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snuba

Snorkellady Don't be put off Snuba, the thread turned to Scuba. You only go down 20 ft max and they teach you how to 'unpressure' your ears before you start. It was awesome and I am definitely going again!