We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air fares!?*%!??!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
air fares!?*%!??!

This has been the hardest year ever to find an acceptable price to fly to Roatan in May: over $900 from the west coast. My wife is going to paris this spring for less than half that. Not that I'd rather be in Paris. Darn poor diving! Every other week Continental raised the fare $10-20. Taca is cheaper through SAL, but for that very tight connection. So I found that I can get from SFO overnight to SAL for 30K frequent flier miles R/T on American and then take the first TACA flight to Roatan and be there in time for an afternoon dive. The return trip requires an overnight in SAL but I've never seen it, so it might be interesting. Or not. Spending 30K miles to save about $600 seems like a deal.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

How tight is the connection in SAL if your using Taca? Ive done connections with 30 mins no problem. (small airport 1 terminal..) Checked random date in May.. and was getting $700 SFO to Roatan... kind of wacky flights though...

Another option. For 30k total miles. You could go SFO to SAP ( via MIami)

What if you flew SFO to SAP on American...? Then caught a Taca/Islena flight from SAP direct to Roatan.

http://www.flyislena.com/ for the SAP to SAL...

just throwing out some ideas..

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

last year at the same time... $280 round trip.. this year $700//// what the hell happened!!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

Greed! This year we paid just over $700 from Toronto last time I looked they wanted $1300 for the same time next year... Can't be just the cost of fuel especially since they have added a fuel surcharge.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
388 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

We bought our tickets at the end of Feb. for our June trip and paid $756 (Taca), which we thought was a deal because the price had previously been $800 something. We figured the unrest in the Middle East would cause oil and gas prices to rise, which in turn would increase airfares, so we thought we should jump on that fare while it lasted.

But of course, the price dropped to $682 a few weeks later and it's still at that price. Grrrr.

You never know. It's all a crapshoot. Wish I had a crystal ball!

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
266 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

I just booked for sept 10 through sidestep.com for $682 inc all taxes and fees on Taca from Los Angeles. Cant wait, staying at Fosters west bay again. I think I have 2 friends coming with me, they havent booked flights yet! Big ups!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

I booked my flight Seattle thru Atlanta to SAP, 6 days advance in first/business class. Cost was listed at over $1800. Used 100,000 miles (earned thru business travel) so the final cost to me was $25. I'll drink more than $25 on my flights.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

Every time we ck flights from Miami are around $700-$800! At least TACA serves free cold beer! Spirit out of Ft Lauderdale is ridiculously cheap but not sure we want to arrive and depart SAP in the wee morning hours! Airline bookings become more and more mind boggling! Still it is all well worth it once you jump in that great water!

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

Spirit Air is great for the last minute low fare option.... leaving late night ( 1:22am) is not too bad.....for me its arriving at 5am into fort lauderdale--- exhausted... (no sleep on plane) and seems like every time i go.... the flight arrives early and US Customs are not open for another 15-20 minutes...

Spirit is going around $260 for FLL to SAP right now some dates in March/April.. (gotta add some $$ for carryon/luggage.... but still).

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

Since we only live about an hour from Ft Lauderdale that isn't all that bad for us. I'm more concerned with arrival after midnight in SAP and departure after 1 a.m..........never been to SAP...is it relatively safe to use this option? I had read some contact info for a B&B that would pick you up at the airport at that crazy hour and then drive you to their place for the rest of the night....then let you stay with them for the day prior to the crazy leaving time! Price is sure tempting, I've seen it for even less.

Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: air fares!?*%!??!

Hang tight. We got tickets from Continential $89 one way and $164 the other. It was from Ft Lauderdale with stop in Houston. Before the cost was $600+. Hope it will get lower for you!

Get answers to your questions about Roatan