We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

We get tired of searching for the right hotels or condos for snorkelers who want to snorkel right off the hotel beach if possible. Please help if you know.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

Finding the right accommodation is a very personal thing.

The reef runs the length of the leeward side of the island. Depending on your needs in a resort the reef can be as close as steps from the sand to a fair swim out.

I would suggest you start you research with accommodation on West Bay Beach. It is the most popular beach in the island.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 03:33
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

Infinity Bay is a very nice resort with pool, condos, good food, excellent staff and the snorkeling in front of the hotel is incredible. In fact, nomad is right. Anywhere in West Bay has good snorkeling right of the beach.

Level Contributor
13 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

Thx so much for your reply. We like understated, simple, friendly, clean places. After thirty years of grandiose hotels on business travel,we prefer smaller and more intimate with a refrigerator and small kitchen area if available. Another person recommended Infinity Bay and we will investigate that. Again, thanks.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

Infinity is a long way from understated.

Bananarama may work for you.

Foster's may work for you, it is one of the few local owned and operated.

Cabana Lana is another local owned place.

West Bay Beach is fairly large, no matter where you stay it is easy enough to walk down the beach to get to the easy access snorkeling.

Now if you are one who wishes to have easy access snorkeling steps from your door. You will pretty much have to stay at Infinity, it is not cause the snorkeling there is any better but cause the reef is closer to the sand and the boats do not travel past Infinity.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 13:54
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

Look into Tranquilseas on Sandy Bay.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

I agree w/ Tranquilseas and also look at vrbo.com for Sandy Bay, lots of options. BlueBahia is another understated choice. We find West Bay while lovely a bit "overbuilt" but then we live in S Fla and prefer to travel roads less traveled. We did enjoy Foster's at West Bay in a cabana suite literraly on the water (#4). Next trip will be Sandy Bay, Paya Bay, Camp Bay for a bit more solitude and reefs less traveled and trampled!

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

Fosters is an amazing place run by great people. I would highly recommend them!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
356 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

stay anywhere in west bay. we stayed at las sirenas and walked to the reef just past infinity bay which is less then 5 minute walk. all the hotels are clustered together so anywhere you stay in west bay you'll be close to great snorkeling.

OK
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

I would vote for Sandy Bay as well. We just spent a week there at a rental house (Las Arenas with Roatan Property Management). The snorkeling off shore was good. The reef is a little bit of a swim from the end of the docks but I am not a strong swimmer and I could do it just fine. West Bay is not a long drive from Sandy Bay so you could still go there to snorkle and hang out if you wanted to.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Roatan if we want to snorkel off the beach?

We loved West Bay Village

Nice and airy buildings