We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for Roatan's childrens homes

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help for Roatan's childrens homes

I am headed to Roatan soon and will be taking along supplies for the children on Roatan.

I've found http://www.roatanchildrensfund.com that lists items they need.

Are there other schools etc. on the island that may need help more than one that can afford to have a website maintained?

I figure if I can afford a trip I can afford to help some needy children and I take some items with me wherever I travel but like to make sure they go to those that trully need it.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

I don't know them but sometimes websites are set up and maintained by a volunteer who can give time and expertise to a cause they believe in. That said, schools can always use help in CA in my experience. I don't take supplies, though, but ask when I get there what they need, then support the local economy by purchasing locally.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

One of the items on their list is toothbrushes and toothpaste. I have a friend who is a dentist that will supply me with a case of toothbrushes but I plan on buying other items while there. My luggage will only carry so much.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

Sounds perfect - safe travels!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

my wife and i like to stop in local communities to see what kind of help local schools are receiving. we found the further east we went, the less help they received. the schools in Diamond Rock and Camp Bay had no help at all, besides the Honduran school books. we met with Selina, a Camp Bay local and the cook at La Sirena, about getting care packages together for the kids. toothbrush and toothpaste was up on the list. some education cards or charts on how to brush would also help. books in english, these two communities are from English decent, so spanish is there second language. they want to learn how to read and write in there native language, but have never had the chance.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

That's great to know. We are staying in the mid to east end of the island so should be able to find our way to the schools. My biggest problem is staying under my weight limit for my luggage with the stuff I have to give them.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

School supplies of any kind are always in demand. Chalk and white board markers make teachers pretty happy. I've never met a kid here that doesn't want a new soccer ball. Boys and girls.

There is also the Orphanage just West of Coxen Hole that is happy to take anything they can get. Food is always appreciated there. Rice, beans, Volume can goods...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

Multivitamins were a big thing when we took stuff. And shoes. Apparently the kids aren't allowed to go to school if they don't have shoes.

8. Re: Help for Roatan's childrens homes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 10:21